ANN R. EISENBERG
- Ph.D., Developmental Psychology, The University of California at Berkeley. Dissertation Title: "Language Development in Cultural Perspective: Talk in Three Mexicano Homes," 1982.
- M.A., Psychology, The Johns Hopkins University. Thesis: "Preschoolers' Use of Language in the Resolution of Conflicts," 1978.
- B.A. with honors in Psychology, The Johns Hopkins University, 1978.
Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology, The University of Texas at San Antonio
University Coordinator, Terry Scholars and Archer Fellowship Programs
Interim Dean of the Honors College, The University of Texas at San Antonio
Associate Dean of the Honors College, The University of Texas at San Antonio
1989 - 2012
Associate Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology, The University of Texas at San Antonio
1990 - 2002
Director of University Honors Programs (including the UTSA Honors Program and the Career Opportunities in Research [COR] Program)
1995 - 1999
Director, UTSA McNair Scholars Program
Director, Honors Program for Young Scholars
Assistant Professor of Psychology, Division of Behavioral and Cultural Sciences, University of Texas at San Antonio
Postdoctoral trainee in Personality and Social Development, Educational Testing Service, Princeton, N.J.
Research Director of a grant from the National Institutes of Health, "The Acquisition of Communicative Competence by Mexican-American Two-Year-Olds."
Project Associate, Study of Mathematically Precocious Youth, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- President’s Distinguished Diversity Award (individual), 2013
- President’s Distinguished Diversity Award (group, with Drs. Marcheta Evans, Rhonda Gonzalez, & Raquel Marquez and Ms. Marietta De La Rosa for creating the Women’s Professional Advancement and Synergy Academy), 2013
- President's Distinguished Award for University Service, University of Texas at San Antonio, 1997 & 2009
- Richard S. Howe Excellence in Service to Undergraduate Students Award, 2009
- UT-System Leadership Development Program, 2008-09
- UTSA Ambassadors' AMBER Award Winner (for outstanding mentoring) – 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- UTSA Million Dollar Scholar Award, April 1999 (for bringing in over a million dollars in grant money)
- UTSA Alumni Association Honorary Life-Time Member, 2009-present (selected by Alumni Association members)
- Kellogg National Fellowship Program, Class XI, 1990-1993
- UTSA University Life Awards, Faculty Member of the Year, 1989, 1992 (selected by students)
- Leadership San Antonio, 1985-1986
- Honors Alliance Award for Excellence, 2006, 2009, 2011.
- Huang, B., *Alegre, A., & Eisenberg, A.R. (2016). A Cross-linguistic Investigation of the Effect of Raters’ Accent Familiarity on Speaking Assessment. Language Assessment Quarterly, 13(1), 25-41.
- Hohenstein, J.L., Eisenberg, A.R., & Naigles, L.R. (2006). Is he floating across or crossing afloat?: Cross-influence of L1 and L2 in Spanish-English bilinguals. International Journal of Bilingualism, 37, 249-261.
- *Hohenstein, J. L., Naigles, L. R., & Eisenberg, A. R. (2004). Keeping verb acquisition in motion: A comparison of English and Spanish. In S. Waxman & G. Hall (Eds.), Weaving a Lexicon, MIT Press, pp. 569-602.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (2002). Maternal teaching talk within families of Mexican descent: Influences of SES and task. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Science, 24, 207-225.
- Wenzlaff, R. M., & Eisenberg, A. R. (2001). Mental control after dysphoria: Evidence of a suppressed depressive bias. Behavior Therapy, 32, 27-45.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1999). Emotion talk among Mexican American and Anglo American mothers and children from two social classes. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 45, 259-277.
- Wenzlaff, R. M. & Eisenberg, A. R. (1998). Parental restrictiveness of negative emotions: Sowing the seeds of thought suppression. Psychological Inquiry, 9, 310-313.
- Naigles, L. R., Eisenberg, A. R., Kako, E., Highter, M., & McGraw, N. (1998). Speaking of motion: Verb use in English and Spanish. Language and Cognitive Processes, 13, 521-549.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1998). Honors in a diverse metropolitan context: The role of leadership. Metropolitan Universities, 9, 79-88.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1996). The conflict talk of mothers and children: Patterns related to culture, SES, and gender of child. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 42, 438-458.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1992). Conflicts between mothers and their young children. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 38, 21-44.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1990). Cultural variation in conversations with children: Talking with children in a multicultural society. Texas Journal of Audiology and Speech, 26, 6-9.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1988). Grandparent-grandchild relationships: Gender differences in involvement. Sex Roles, 19, 205-217.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1987). Learning to argue with parents and peers. Argumentation, 1, 113-125.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1987). Teasing: Verbal play in two Mexicano homes. In B. B. Schieffelin & E. Ochs (eds.), Language socialization across cultures, N.Y.: Cambridge University Press. [Reprinted in: Language development: A handbook for classroom teachers, edited by Ruth Hubbard, N.Y.: Cambridge University Press, 1996.]
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1985). Learning to describe past experiences in conversation. Discourse Processes, 8, 177-204.
- Schieffelin, B. B. & Eisenberg, A. R. (1984). Cultural variation in children's conversations. In R.L. Schiefelbusch & J. Pickar (eds.), The acquisition of communicative competence, Baltimore: University Park Press.
- Eisenberg, A. R. & Garvey, C. (1981). Children's use of verbal strategies in resolving conflicts. Discourse Processes, 4, 149-170.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1981). The acquisition of markers of current relevance. Papers and Reports on Chiild Language Development, 18.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1980). A syntactic, semantic, and pragmatic analysis of conjunction. Papers and Reports on Child Language Development, 19, 60-69.
- Eisenberg, A. R. & George, W. C. (1979). Early entrance to college: The Johns Hopkins experience. College and University, 54, 109-118.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1985). Review of M. Liss (ed.), Social and Cognitive Skills: Sex Roles and Children's Play. Sex Roles.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1984). Review of J. Amastae & L. Elias-Olivares (eds.), Spanish in the United States: Sociolinguistic aspects. Language Problems and Language Planning, December.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1983). The new central questions in language acquisition. Contemporary Psychology, 28, 476.
- Eisenberg, A. R. (1983). Review of R. P. Duran (ed.), Latino language and communicative behavior. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 5, 347-349.
- Eisenberg, A.R. (2007). Sharing personal narratives within families and the quality of parent-child relationships. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Boston, MA.
- Eisenberg, A.R. & Triana, S. (2007). Can gender differences in value socialization explain gender differences in guilt? Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Boston, MA.
- Eisenberg, A.R. (2006). Developing in Honors: The UTSA Great Conversation as Friend-Raiser and Fund-Raiser, presented at the annual meeting of the National Collegiate Honors Council, Philadelphia, PA, November 2006.
- Eisenberg, A.R. & Nuñez, G. (2006). Older adolescents’ memories for parents’ personal narratives. Presented at the Biennial Conference of the Society for Research in Human Development, Fort Worth, TX, March.
- Quiñones, J., Williams, G.B., & Eisenberg, A.R. (2006). Prevalence of dating violence among Latino and Anglo college students, Conference on Youth Violence Prevention, San Antonio, TX.
- Eisenberg, A.R. & *Triana, S. (2005). Communal values as factors in gender differences in proneness to shame and guilt among older adolescents. Presented at the Biennial Conference of the Society for Research in Child Development, Atlanta, GA, April 2005.
- *Fritz, N.M., & Eisenberg, A.R. (2004). Individualism, familism, and collectivism among Mexican American and European American college students. Presented at the annual meeting of the Southwestern Psychological Association, San Antonio, April, 2004.
- Hohenstein, J. M., Eisenberg, A. R., & Naigles, L. R. (2003). Is he floating across or crossing afloat? Verb use in bilingual Spanish/English speakers. Presented at the International Cognitive Linguistics Conference, Logrono, Spain, July, 2003.
- *Gills, J. R. & Eisenberg, A. R. (2003). Gender and ethnic differences in reports of personal memories. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Tampa, April 2003.
- Halberstadt, A., *Hoffman, J., *Coble, S., *Grant, C., & Eisenberg, A.R. (2002). Social constructions of gender through language: Mother-child conversations. Presented at the Conference on Human Development, April 2002.
- *Hohenstein, J. M., Naigles, L. R., & Eisenberg, A. (2002). Moving right along: The acquisition of manner and path in English and Spanish. Presented at the Stanford Child Language Forum, April 2002.
- *Hohenstein, J. M., Eisenberg, A. R., and Naigles, L. R. (2002). Did he run or did he enter? Verb use by Spanish/English bilinguals. Presented at the annual meeting of the Cognitive Linguistics Society, November 2002.
- *Gills, J. R., Eisenberg, A. R., & *Dennis, P. The influence of gender and ethnicity on the accessibility of personal memories. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Southwestern Society for Research in Human Development, Austin, TX, March, 2002.
- Eisenberg, A. R., & *Gutierrez, R. Gender and ethnic differences in the accessibility of autobiographical memories in middle childhood. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Minneapolis, MN, April, 2001.
- Salahuddin, M., & Eisenberg, A. R. Preferences for conflict resolution among adolescents: The influence of ethnicity, gender, and the nature of the relationship. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Minneapolis, MN, April, 2001.
- Eisenberg, A. R., & *Driver, S. Parents' and children's perceptions of parents' responses to children's expression of negative affect. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Albuquerque, NM, April, 1999.
- Eisenberg, A. R. Social class, task familiarity, and teaching talk among Mexican-descent families. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Albuquerque, NM, April, 1999.
- Eisenberg, A. R., & *Whitley, B. L. Parental expressiveness and children's perceptions of parents' emotions. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Southwestern Society for Research in Human Development, Galveston, Tx, March, 1998.
- Eisenberg, A. R., & *Whitley, B. L. Parents' attitudes toward the expression of emotion. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Southwestern Society for Research in Human Development, Galveston, TX, March, 1998.
- *Whitley, B. L., Eisenberg, A. R., *Salahuddin, M., and Juarez, C. Children's awareness of mothers' and fathers' negative emotions. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Washington, D.C., April, 1997.
- Naigles, L. R. & Eisenberg, A. R. Results of a language-specific lexicon? Children's preferences in watching motion events. Presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Indianapolis, IN, March, 1995.
- Eisenberg, A. R. Exploring cultural and class differences in the emotional content of mother-child conversations. Southwestern Society for Research in Human Development, Austin, Tx, February, 1994.
- Naigles, L. R., Eisenberg, A. R., & Kako, E. T. Acquiring a language-specific lexicon: Motion verbs in English and Spanish. Fourth International Conference on Pragmatics, Antwerp, Belgium, November, 1993.
- Eisenberg, A. R. Sex-typed tasks and children's gender-specific conversational style. Society for Research in Child Development, New Orleans, March, 1993.
- Eisenberg, A. R., *Wolfe, P. A., and *Mick, M. Who makes a good sibling?: Personality and the quality of sibling relationships. Society for Research in Child Development, New Orleans, March, 1993.
- SRC, Inc. October 2011 – May 2012. Project title: “The UTSA eRunners Program.” Total direct costs: $9,000.
- National Council on Undergraduate Research/Lancy Foundation, May 2006 – May 2008. Project title: “Understanding Health Disparities in the Texas-Mexico Border Region.” Total direct costs: $66,000.
- National Institutes of Mental Health, July 2000 - June 2005. Project title: "Career Opportunities in Research (COR) Honors Undergraduate Training Program." Total direct costs: $864,021.
- National Institutes of Health, September 2002 - August 2005. Project title: "Michigan Bridge to the Doctorate Program," co-PI. Total direct costs for UTSA portion of the project: $113,088.
- Department of Education, October 1995 - September 1999. Project title: "UTSA Ronald E. McNair Scholar Development Program." Total direct costs: $775,000.
- Department of Education, June 1994 - May 1995. Project title: "UTSA Women and Minority Undergraduate Research Program." Total direct costs: $96,470.
- Texas Association for the Gifted and Talented, August 1992 - August 1993. Project title: "The Affective Development of Gifted Youth." Total direct costs: $2,500.
- National Institutes of Mental Health, New Investigator Award, June 1, 1986 - May 31, 1989. Project title: "Predictors of Maternal Teaching Strategies." Total direct costs: $84,000.
- Psychology: Fundamentals of Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Psychology of Language, Psychology of Aging, Cross-Cultural Psychology, Social and Personality Development, Psychological Perspectives on Gender, Academic Inquiry and Scholarship, and Contemporary Paradigms in Psychology (graduate level).
- American Studies: Childhood in America.
- Social Science: Program Evaluation.
- Honors: Academic Inquiry & Scholarship, Graduate School Workshop, Honors Thesis Exploration Seminar, Topics in Psychology, Childhood in America, Psychology of Gender, Creativity and Genius
MASTER’S THESES SUPERVISED
- Ricardo Castañeda, “Modulation of the N400 in Spoken Word Arithmetic: Automatic Memory Retrieval or Verification,” 2016.
- Anneliese New, “Neuropsychological Performance Relative to Sense of Effort Following Mild Traumatic Brain Injury,” 2012
- Ryan Guiliano, “An Event Related Potentials Investigation of Semantic Access during Thought Suppression,” 2009
- Lourdes Guajardo,” Semantics and Syntax in Sentence Comprehension: An Analysis of their Relationship in Time Using Event-Related Potentials,” 2009
- Margaret De La Garza, “Family Narratives and Ethnic Identity Development among Latinos,” 2006
- Jennifer Miller, “Mother-Child Discourse and Children’s Comprehension of Televised Material: A Pilot Study,” 2006
- Stephanie Triana,” Gender, Ethnicity, Interdependence, and Familism as Predictors of Adaptive Guilt,” 2006
- Alfredo Antonio Castro, “The Influence of Copper Zinc Superoxide Dismutase on the Learning and Memory of Young Mice during Trace Fear Conditioning,” 2005
- Shelby Evans, “An Investigation of Teachers’ Causal Attributions Regarding the Behavior of Students with ADHD,” 2001
- Mecca Salahuddin, “Conflict Resolution among Young Adolescents: The Influence of Ethnicity, Gender, and the Nature of the Relationship,” 2000
HONORS THESES SUPERVISED
- Emma Faye Rudkin. “Aid the Silent: The Foundation of a New Not-for-Profit Organization.” In progress.
- María Estefanía Cisneros Jara, “Caregiver Reports of Emotional Functioning in Patients with Frontotemporal Dementia, Semantic Dementia, and Alzheimer’s Disease: A Longitudinal Study,” 2013
- Jennifer Beltran, “Comparison of Methadone and Buprenorphine Therapy for Opiate Dependence,” 2010
- Jacqueline Adams, “Parents’ Stories and their Relationship to Young Adults’ Feelings of Optimism and Self-Efficacy,” 2007
- Jessica Woodward, “Family Story-Telling and the Quality of Parent-Child Relationships,” 2007.
- Gabriela Nuñez, “Gender Differences in Young Adults’ Memories for Parents’ Personal Narratives,” 2005
- Gerardo Gonzalez, “Self-Referent Cognitive Biases Revealed Due to Mental Lapses in Thought Suppression,” 2005
- Stephanie Triana, “Gender and Cultural Differences in Proneness to Shame and Guilt,” 2004
- Noelle Fritz, “Exploring Gender and Ethnic Differences in the Storage and Retrieval of Autobiographical Memories,” 2003
- Rose Gutierrez, “Gender and Ethnic Differences in Autobiographical Memory in Middle Childhood,” 2000
- Kristina Conlin, “Anger Regulation and Conflict among Adolescents with ADHD,” 1999
- Briana Whitley, “Perceptions of Fathers’ and Mothers’ Negative Emotions” 1997
- Max Athens, “Parent-Child Interaction and the Development of Gender-Differentiated Cognitive Schemata,” 1991
STUDENT ADVISING ACTIVITIES
- Terry Scholars Advisor, 2006 – present
- Adviser to Honors Students, 1990 – 2016
- Terry Scholars Student Organization (TSSO), RSO Adviser, 2007-present
- Non-Traditional Students Organization, RSO Adviser, 2015-present
SERVICE TO THE UNIVERSITY
- Women’s Professional Advancement & Synergy Academy, steering committee member, 2012-present.
- UTSA Terry Foundation UTSA University Coordinator, 2005-present.
- UTSA Archer Fellows Program University Coordinator, 2005-present.
- Great Conversation! Fundraiser Planning Committee, 2001-2016.
- Carlos & Malu Alvarez Fund, Account Administrator & Selection Committee Chair, 2006-2016.
- Top Scholars Recruitment Committee, 2011-present.
- University Standing Committee on University Scholarships, Chair, 1992-1997, 1999-2001, 2003-2006, Member, 2009-2016
- International Education Fund Selection Committee, 2000-2003, 2009-present.
- Freshman Admission to Medical Education (FAME) Steering Committee, 2011-present.
- Freshman Experience Task Force, Member & Sub-Committee Chair, 2010-2011.
- Enrollment Management Committee, 2009-present, 2006-2007, 1992-1996. Sub-committee on Scholarships and Financial Aid, 1996-1998. Sub-committee on Recruitment, 1996-1998.
- Top 500 Event Planning Committee, 2010-2012.
- Chair, President’s Distinguished Achievement Award for Excellence in University Service Selection Committee, 2011.
- Provost’s Committee on Advising Procedures, 2011.
- UTSA Sustainability Council, 2010-present.
- International Education Fund Selection Committee, 2008-present.
- Provost’s Task Force on Leadership Development, 2008-2010.
- Tenure-Track Research Award (TRAC) & Collaborative Research Seed Grant Program (CRSGP) Selection Committee, 2008-2010.
- "Who's Who" Awards Selection Committee, 1986-present.
- Truman Scholarship Faculty Representative, 1992-present.
- Pre-Professional Programs Committee, 2009-2011.
- Pre-Medical Education Committee, 2008-09.
- Quantitative Enhancement Program Grant Selection Committee, 2011.
- Blue Ribbon Committee on the Undergraduate Experience, 2007-2008.
- McNair Scholars Advisory Committee, 2008-2009.
- UTSA Faculty Representative, Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship, 2006-2009.
- UTSA Faculty Representative, Rhodes Scholarship, 2000-2009.
- Task Force on Health Disparities, 2008.
- Search Committee, Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, 2007.
- Working Group on Study Abroad Scholarship Processes, 2005-2006.
- Taskforce on Student Success and Graduation Rates, 2005-2006.
- Interim Health Professions Advisor, 2004-2005.
- Fall Convocation Planning Committee, 2003-present.
- Provost's Council on Academic Advising, 1999-2002.
- University Standing Committee on Graduation, 1999-2005.
- SACS Accreditation Self-Study, Learner Centered Committee, 1998-2001.
- Women's History Week Organizing Committee, 1985-2001
- Committee on Fellowships, Scholarships, and Loan Funds, Chair, 1992-1997, 1999-2001, 2003-2005, responsible for establishing International Financial Aid Fund, awarding scholarships, reviewing Financial Aid appeals.
- University Assembly, 1987-1989, 1990-1992, 1993-1995; Related committees: Academic Policy and Curricula Committee, 1988-1990, 1993-present; Academic Freedom and Tenure Committee, 1987-1995; Student Life and Activities Committee, 1987-1989; Teaching Effectiveness Committee, 1990-1992 (Chair); Nominating Committee (1994-96); Curriculum Committee (1996-98).
- UTSA Faculty Senate, parliamentarian, 1993-1995.
- Chair, Committee to Evaluate Administrators, 1998-1999.
- United Way University Coordinator. 1989-1990.
- Graduate Program Review Committee, 1989-1991.
- Strategic Planning Committees -- College Planning Committee, 1992-1995, New Academic Frontiers Task Force, 1990; College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Planning Committee, 1991
- Faculty Advisor to Registered Student Organizations -- University Honors Student Association, 1996-present; Terry Scholars Student Organization, 2006-present; Student Representative Assembly, 1989-1991; Golden Key National Honor Society, 1990-1995; Campus Girl Scouts, 1989-1991; Phi Omicron Chi Sorority, 1985-1988; University Psychological Association, 1985-1987.
- University Committee on Child Care, Chair, 1988-1989; Member, 1995-1996, Member 2002-2004.
SERVICE TO THE DEPARTMENT
- Department Faculty Review Advisory Committee (DFRAC) Chair, 1993-1994, 1996-1997, 1999-2000, 2001-2002, 2010-2011, 2014-2015. DFRAC Committee Member, 1993-2002, 2007-present.
- College Faculty Review Advisory Committee Representative (CFRAC), 2001-2001, 2008-09
- Psychology Hiring Committee Chair, 2016-2017, 2004-2005, 2001-2002, 1998-1999, 1993-1994, 1991-1992, 1988-1989, 1984-1985, 1998-1999
- Psychology Hiring Committee Member, Psychology, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008.
- COLFA Research Conference Judge, 2007.
- Psychology Representative, Biology Minor Planning Committee, 2007.
- Psychology Support Work Revisions, 2000, 2004, 2008.
- Psychology Faculty Advisory Committee, representative from Psychology, 1998-2001.
SERVICE TO THE PROFESSION
- National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC), Portz Scholars Committee, Member 2000-2016, Co-Chair, 2001-2016
- National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC), Professional Development Committee, 2009-2016
- National College Honors Council (NCHC), Conference Planning Committee, 1992-1994 & 2006-2008.
- Society for Research on Human Development, Ad-Hoc Outstanding Mentor Committee, 2007, 2009
- University of Texas-Pan American External Faculty Awards Selection Committee, 2010-2016
- Reviewer, NIMH Special Emphasis Panel, MRISP Review, 2005
- Great Plains Honors Council, Chair, 2004 Conference Planning Committee
- Society for Research in Child Development, conference reviewer, 2005, 2007, 2009.
- Society for Research in Human Development, Planning Committee, 2008-2010.
- Sixth Annual Southern States Knowledge Conference on Youth Violence Prevention, conference reviewer, 2006.
- Ad-Hoc Reviewer for Journals – Social Development, Child Development, British Journal of Developmental Psychology, Developmental Psychology, Journal of Research in Adolescence, Journal of Child Language, First Language, Parenting
SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY
- Clark High School National Honor Society Induction Speaker, December 2016
- Clark High School PTA, Board Member & Scholarship Committee Chair, August 2012-June 2015
- Young Men’s Service League, Vice President of Philanthropy, May 2012-May 2015
- San Antonio Public Library, Staff Development Workshop on Psychosocial Stages of Development, 2008
- Girl Scout Council of San Antonio, 1999-2005
- Children’s Bereavement Center, volunteer, 2004-2006
- Rotary International Education Scholarship Fund, Vice Chair, 1997-1998, Chair, 1998-1999.
- Rotary Club Diploma Plus Selection Committee, 1992-1994.
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Conference, Chair, Planning Committee, 1995-96, Vice-Chair, Planning Committee, 1994-95.
- Habitat for Humanity Family Selection Committee, August 1993-1994.
- Jewish Federation Tutoring Project, Olmos Elementary School, September 1992-1994.
- San Antonio CARES (Child Abuse Resource and Education Services), board member, September 1985-1994. President of the Board, January 1991-December 1991. Vice-President of the Board, January 1988-1991. Board Liaison to MELD-Young Moms Program, June 1987-August 1988. Committees: Financial Committee, chair, Committee for More Effective Discipline in the Schools, chair; Speakers' Bureau, 1989-1994.
- Teen Parent Connection, San Antonio, Texas, advisory board member, September 1985-1994. Advisory Board Chair, January 1987-December 1988.
- Avance Educational Programs for Parents and Children, San Antonio, Texas, board member, May 1984-September 1988. Vice-President of Programs, January 1985-July 1985 and January 1988-September 1988.
- Interim President of the Board, July 1985-January 1986.
- "Expanding Your Horizons," program to encourage girls to continue science and math education, University of Texas at San Antonio, 1987-88, 1990-91, 1994-1995.
- Science Fair Judge, Psychology/Sociology, Clark High School, December 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1995; Alamo Area Science Fair Judge, February 1990.
- St. Mary's Hall School, Scholarship Selection Committee, February 1991, 1995, 1996.
- United Way Review Panel, Health and Human Services division, February-March, 1986, 1987, 1988.