Lobo Alert – 11.22.2022, 12:15 a.m.: At approximately 12:15 a.m. on November 22, 2022, the University of New Mexico Police Department (UNMPD) responded to 300 Redondo E Dr., NE for a report of an assault with a firearm. The caller told officers they were walking outside Redondo Village Apartments when they observed two males parked in a black hatchback-style Jeep. One of the subjects in the vehicle was described as pointing a handgun at them before driving off campus. No shots or injuries were reported.
Anyone with information about this incident is strongly encouraged to contact UNMPD at 505-277-2241. Albuquerque Metro Crime Stoppers will also pay up to $2,500 cash for anonymous tips that lead to an arrest. Call the tip line at 505-843-STOP (505-843-7867), download the Crime Stoppers app, or visit AMCS online to make an anonymous tip.
UNMPD will provide any additional updates that are relevant as we receive them in order to continue to keep the UNM community safe. In the meantime, the tips below can help you reduce your risk of becoming a victim of violent crime in the future.
- Firearms are not allowed on campus. If you see a firearm or other dangerous weapon prohibited by UNM’s Weapons Policy, report it to UNMPD at 505-277-2241.
- Pay attention to cues in your environment, your instincts, and other people’s behavior that may indicate a threat is near.
- If you feel unsafe, go to a safe, witness-rich environment.
- Familiarize yourself with the locations of exits and emergency blue light phones in all the places you frequent on campus.
- Stay on lit, witness-rich paths and avoid shortcuts that are not well-traveled.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Save your earbuds for home and the gym so they do not distract you while you’re out and about.
- Program UNMPD’s number into your phone: 505-277-2241 to report any suspicious activity on campus at the touch of a button.
- In the case of an emergency, dial 911 from your phone or one of the many blue light emergency phones on campus. LoboGuardian is an app that turns your smart phone into a virtual blue light phone. Learn more at loboguardian.unm.edu.
Individuals impacted by the crime mentioned above who seek supportive measures, or who have information about a UNM policy violation, can contact the UNM Office of Compliance, Ethics & Equal Opportunity (CEEO) by calling 505-277-5251 or submitting a report through the UNM Compliance/EthicsPoint Hotline: 1-888-899-6092 or unm.ethicspoint.com. Anonymous reports are accepted.
Supportive resources are also available through the LoboRESPECT Advocacy Center.
If you have any information regarding this incident or notice any suspicious behavior, contact the UNM Police Department at 505.277.2241. Always be aware of your surroundings. LoboGuardian is an app that turns your smartphone into a virtual blue light phone. For more information visit LoboGuardian.
For more information about campus safety, visit UNM Campus Safety.