1. Sandia Labs News Releases - "Sandia Labs wins five regional FLC tech transfer awards"
Sandia and the UNM Health Sciences Center win for their work on protocell research.
2. ABQ Journal Living - "Changing the game from the top down" -
The article mentions Barbara E. Bergman, Pamela Minzner Chair in Professionalism professor at UNM law school and Lisa Kuuttila, president and chief executive officer of UNM Science and Technology Corp.
3. Times Colonist - "Pediatricians want bedroom ban on smartphones and limits on kids' Internet, social media use”
UNM Professor Victor Strasburger weighs in.
4. ABQ Journal - "Clovis High marching band wins top honors"
Band sponsored by UNM
5. University of Western Australian News - "GOHaD Researcher Awarded Funds to Facilitate Research in Biomarker Discovery for Melanoma Risk and Prognosis"
Collaboration with international researchers from UNM among others.
6. Cleantech.com - "PNM Solar Project Named as Finalist in 2013 Platts Global Energy Awards"
UNM-Taos campus recognized
7. ABQ Journal - "Teen with spina bifida doesn’t let disability hold back a dream"
Carrie Tingley Hospital Foundation, part of UNMH, offers adaptive equipment and program support.
8. ABQ Journal Business - "Tech an avocation for entrepreneur"
License for technology acquired from UNM, where it was developed.
9. UNM Media Watch
KRQE-13 10 p.m. and Saturday Oct. 26 at 7 a.m. News
MOST CLASSROOMS HAVEN'T CHANGED MUCH SINCE THE 1940S...WITH A TEACHER THE CHALKBOARD IN THE FRONT OF THE ROOM -- THE STUDENTS STARING UP FROM THEIR DESKS. THAT'S CHANGING. WELCOME TO THE "DECENTERED CLASSROOM" WHERE STUDENTS ARE SUPPOSED TO LEARN FROM EACH OTHER AS MUCH AS THEY DO FROM THE PROFESSOR. DESKS ARE REPLACED WITH ROUND TABLES AND IF YOU WANT TO SIT IN THE BACK OF THE CLASS, GOOD LUCK FIGURING OUT WHERE THAT IS. DR. PUNA'S DEFINITELY DONE A GOOD JOB WITH KEEPING THE CLASS CONSTANTLY ENGAGED. JUST THE FACT THAT IT'S ONE ACTIVITY AFTER ANOTHER AFTER ANOTHER, JUST KIND OF LINED UP. AND YOU HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION DURING THE LECTURE, DURING CLASS ASSIGNMENTS. CLICKERS ARE USED FOR INSTANT FEEDBACK ON POP QUIZZES... MICROPHONES AT EACH TABLE ARE USED SO GROUPS CAN PRESENT TO THE CLASS AND SCREENS SURROUND THE ROOM TO SHOW VISUALS DURING LECTURES AND TO GROUP PROJECTS. THE OTHER THING THAT'S ADVANTAGEOUS WITH THE TV SCREENS: THEY'RE ACTUALLY WORKING AN ASSIGNMENT ON THEIR MACS AND THEY WANT TO SHARE THAT ASSIGNMENT WITH THE REST OF THE CLASS, THERE'S A BUTTON ON THE TABLE THAT YOU CAN PUSH AND IT PROJECTS IT ONTO THE SCREEN SO ALL THE OTHER STUDENTS CAN SEE WHAT THAT TABLE IS DOING. THE DESIGN OF THE CLASSROOM IS BASED ON STUDIES THAT SHOW STUDENTS LIKE TO LEARN BY DOING AND BY COLLABORATING. RESEARCH SUGGESTS NOT ONLY DO STUDENTS ABSORB AND RETAIN THAT INFORMATION BUT THERE IS A HIGHER RATE OF ATTENDANCE IN CLASSES WHEN A BIG PART OF LEARNING IS JUST GETTING STUDENTS TO SHOW UP. UNM HOPES THESE CLASSROOMS HELP. THE CLASSROOMS ARE IN THE COLLABORATIVE TEACHING AND LEARNING BUILDING WHICH JUST OPENED IN SEPTEMBER. TINA JENSEN KRQE NEWS 13.