This week on New Mexico in Focus, the panel speaks with college and high school athletic officials as well as a neuroscientist about a new program designed to study and minimize the impact of brain injury on athletes in contact sports. A national Frontline documentary recently aired a segment on the concussion crisis in National Football League.
New Mexico in Focus airs Friday night at 7 p.m. on Channel 5.1 and appears online at NMiF shortly thereafter. The show rebroadcasts Saturday at 5 p.m. on Channel 9.1 and again on Sunday at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1.
Also this week, the Line opinion panel discusses the impacts of the federal government shutdown, looks at the results of the Albuquerque mayoral race and city council races and breaks down how initial enrollment has progressed during the first week of the new health care exchange that began under the Affordable Care Act.
- Kevin Barker, head football coach, Sandia High School
- Kent Kiehl, neuroscientist, Mind Research Network
- Paul Krebs, athletic director, UNM
- Dusty Young, associate director, New Mexico Activities Association
- Dede Feldman, former New Mexico senator
- Trip Jennings, New Mexico in Depth
- Rob Nikolewski, editor, Capitol Report New Mexico
- Rachel Sams, Albuquerque Business First
- Gene Grant
New Mexico in Focus is produced by Megan Kamerick and Kathy Wimmer. Funding has been provided in part by the McCune Foundation.