This week on New Mexico in Focus, correspondent Megan Kamerick sits down with City of Albuquerque COO Michael Riordan and community leaders to discuss the lawsuit over the controversial Albuquerque Rapid Transit (ART) project.
The city received a federal grant to build a rapid transit system down Central Avenue but has faced opposition from landlords and business owners along the proposed route. Opponents of the project argue that ART will increase traffic congestion and drive out local businesses that are already struggling to stay open, while advocates for ART say the project will bring more business activity to Central Avenue. A lawsuit is scheduled for a hearing before a federal judge this week.
This week’s episode will also feature delegates from last week’s Republican National Convention. Correspondent Gwyneth Doland checks in with some New Mexico delegates to hear what they have to say about last week’s events in Cleveland, Ohio.
Also this week, host Gene Grant and the Line opinion panel discuss the Democratic National Convention and the push by Albuquerque hotel owners to make Airbnb hosts also pay lodge taxers.
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ one-hour public affairs show covering the events, issues, and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest. The show regularly airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and repeats Sundays at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1 and Saturdays at 5p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. on Channel 9.1, except during Pledge Drives.
- Jean Bernstein, CEO Flying Star Cafes and Satellie Coffee
- Cecilia C De Baca, Republican delegate
- Fernando C De Baca, Republican delegate
- Susan Deichsel, Urban ABQ
- John Hooker, architect, former mayor of Los Ranchos
- Michael Riordan, chief operating officer for the city of Albuquerque
- Keith West, CEO Urban Fresh
- Eddy Aragon, CEO, “The Rock of Talk,” Fox News ABQ 95.9 FM
- Janice Arnold-Jones, former state representative
- Marsha Garcia, Strategies 360
- Eric Griego, former New Mexico state senator
- Gwyneth Doland
- Megan Kamerick
- Gene Grant
The producer of New Mexico in Focus is Sarah Gustavus with Kathy Wimmer, associate producer. The McCune Foundation and the Santa Fe Community Foundation provide funding for NMiF.