One in four New Mexicans 18 and older will be the victim of domestic violence in their lifetime, with the odds jumping to one in three for New Mexico women. This sobering statistic was recently underscored when a man opened-fire at Emcore Fiber Optics, killing two people and wounding four others, including his ex-girlfriend.
This week, on New Mexico in Focus, correspondent Gwyneth Doland, editor, New Mexico Independent, talks about this sobering statistic with a panel of professionals whose job it is to fight domestic abuse. The line panelists discuss the possible re-introduction of Kendra's Law, worsening budget concerns in The Land of Enchantment, and the deadly combination of locked cars, young children and blazing heat.
KNME's one hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 6:30 a.m. on KNME, Channel 5.1. The show can also be seen on KNME's Digital Channel 9.1 on Saturdays at 5 p.m.
• Sharon Pino, Violence against Women Resource Prosecutor for the New Mexico Attorney General's Office
• Quintin McShan, New Mexico State Police Captain
• Pamela Wiseman, Executive Director, New Mexico Coalition against Domestic Violence
• Sophie Martin, Managing Editor, DukeCityFix.com
• Laura E. Sanchez, Former Executive Director, New Mexico Democratic Party
• Jim Scarantino, Editor, New Mexico
• TJ Trout, Radio Host, 94 Rock FM
• Gwyneth Doland, Editor, New Mexico Independent .com
• Gene Grant, Weekly Alibi Columnist
Watch again online at KNME.