As the 2011 legislative session nears the halfway point, New Mexico in Focus puts another hot button policy issue in the spotlight: immigration reform. Gov. Susana Martinez kicked off the debate this session by issuing an executive order that would require state police officers to check the immigration status of criminal suspects they've arrested.
New Mexico in Focus airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 6:30 a.m. on KNME, Channel 5.1. The show can also be seen on KMME's Digital Channel 9.1 on Saturdays at 5 p.m.
Also this week, several bills making their way through the Roundhouse would change the way driver's licenses are handed out in New Mexico, and even revoke the licenses that have already been given out to undocumented immigrants. NMIF Capitol Correspondent Gwyneth Doland talks to lawmakers about the proposed bills.
Doland also sits down for an exclusive one-on-one interview with the man Gov. Martinez has appointed to lead the Department of Public Safety, former U.S. Marshall Gordon Eden. It's all part of New Mexico in Focus's expanded legislative coverage during this crucial 60-day session.
The Line panelists weigh in on another proposed bill that would protect teachers who include things like creationism theory in their classroom discussions about evolution and the latest on the fallout from last week's natural gas crisis in New Mexico.
• Sen. Rod Adair, (R) Roswell
• Rep. Andy Nunez, (I) Hatch
• Rep. Bill O'Neill, (D) Albuquerque
• Jim Burleson, executive director, New Mexico Sheriffs and Police Association
• Marcela Diaz, executive director, Somos un Pueblo Unido
• Gordon Eden, Department of Public Safety cabinet appointee
(PLEASE NOTE: During the legislative session, all guests are subject to change, based on their availability)
• Dennis Domrzalski, New Mexico Business Weekly staff writer
• Dan Foley, (R) former House Minority Whip
The Line Panelists
• Sophie Martin, managing editor, DukeCityFix.com
• Laura Sanchez, environmental lawyer, Natural Resources Defense Council Capitol Correspondent
• Gwyneth Doland, former editor, NewMexicoIndependent.com
• Gene Grant, Weekly Alibi Columnist
Watch again online at KNME. Additionally, get updates, watch and follow KNME on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more.
New Mexico in Focus is produced by Kevin McDonald and Kathy Wimmer and closed captioning has been made possible by a gift from Mrs. Elspeth G. Bobbs.
Media Contact: Evy Todd, (505) 277-1812; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org