On this week’s episode of New Mexico in Focus, correspondent Gwyneth Doland leads a discussion about mental health and access to firearms asking if people with mental illness should have limited access to guns.
Doland will talk with Dr. Dan Duhigg, a psychiatrist serving on APD’s Mental Health Response and Advisory Committee, and Stephan Marshall, director of the New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy and former FBI agent, about the training law enforcement officers need to help address the combination of mental illness and guns in the community.
Also in this week’s episode, correspondent Megan Kamerick sits down with Fernanda Santos, journalist and author of “The Fire Line,” to talk about the 2013 Arizona wildfire that killed 19 firefighters, known as one of the deadliest days in American firefighting.
This week, host Gene Grant leads a discussion with Line opinion panelists about the continuing threat from wildfires, the high rate of immigrant deportations in New Mexico, and the concerns from legislators that the state may face additional budget cuts.
The associate producer of New Mexico in Focus is Sarah Gustavus and associate producer is Kathy Wimmer. Funding for New Mexico in Focus is provided in party by the McCune Foundation Communications Fund and the Santa Fe Community Foundation.
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ prime-time news magazine show covering events, issues, and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest. New Mexico in Focus airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and repeats Sundays at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1 and Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. on Channel 9.1, except during Pledge Drives.
- Dr. Dan Duhigg, psychiatrist serving on APD’s Mental Health Response and Advisory Committee
- Stephen Marshall, director of the New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy and a former FBI agent
- Fernanda Santos, Phoenix bureau chief for the New York Times, author of “The Fire Line: The Story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots and One of the Deadliest Days in American Firefighting”
- Merrit Allen, Vox Optima
- Dan Foley, former New Mexico house minority whip
- Eric Griego, former New Mexico state senator
- Sophie Martin, attorney and editor of DukeCityFix.com
- Gwyneth Doland
- Megan Kamerick
- Gene Grant
To stay informed, watch New Mexico in Focus again online at www.newmexicopbs.org shortly after the show and sign up for the weekly newsletter. To get updates, follow New Mexico PBS on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.