This week, New Mexico in Focus takes a closer look at the national efforts to address the achievement gap. New Mexico is taking a bold approach to bridging the achievement gap in our schools. Just this last legislative session, lawmakers approved the Hispanic Education Act as a way to ensure all students have the best possible chance to succeed in the classroom. Producer Kevin McDonald sits down with Juan Sepulveda, executive director of the White House Initiative on Education Excellence for Hispanic Americans.
KNME's one hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 6:30 a.m. on KNME, Channel 5.1. The show can also be seen on KNME's Digital Channel 9.1 on Saturdays at 5 p.m.
Line panelists sound off on a growing demand for teacher accountability in the classroom.
Also, the story behind a new documentary by New Mexico-born filmmaker Justin Hunt. In "Absent," Hunt looks at the growing epidemic of absent fathers and the impact that loss is having on the youth of the nation.
• Juan Sepulveda, Executive Director, White House Initiative on Education Excellence For Hispanic Americans
• Justin Hunt, Documentary Filmmaker, "Absent"
• Sophie Martin, Managing Editor, DukeCityFix.com
• Laura E. Sanchez, Former Executive Director, New Mexico Democratic Party
• Colin Hunter, Former Legislative Director to Congresswoman Heather Wilson
• Larry Behrens, Reporter, KKOB Radio
• Alicia Lueras Maldonado, President & CEO, Atlixco Productions LLC
• Gene Grant, Weekly Alibi Columnist
Watch again online at KNME. Additionally, get updates, watch and follow KNME on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more.
New Mexico in Focus is produced by Kevin McDonald and Kathy Wimmer and closed captioning has been made possible by a gift from Mrs. Elspeth G. Bobbs.
Media Contact: Evy Todd, (505) 277-1218; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org