After months of dry, windy weather, the risk of more wildfires in the Southwest is growing exponentially. This week, New Mexico in Focus presents insights and perspectives on just how bad the outlook is for the next several months and the steps local and national officials are taking to keep the flames at bay.
KNME's one hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 6:30 a.m. on KNME, Channel 5.1. The show can also be seen on KNME's Digital Channel 9.1 on Saturdays at 5 p.m.
Also this week, panelists discuss why officials can't ban fireworks this 4th of July, even if they wanted to, plus, the future of nuclear energy in the Land of Enchantment and the latest back and forth on voter fraud.
• Chief James Breen, Albuquerque Fire Department
• Dan Ware, information officer, New Mexico State Forestry Division
• Mary Zabinsky, fire information officer, Southwest Coordination Center
LINE Guest Panelists:
• Larry Ahrens, former Talk Radio host, KKOB Radio
• Laura Paskus, freelance journalist
• Sophie Martin, former managing editor, DukeCityFix.com
• Laura Sanchez, environmental lawyer, Natural Resources Defense Council
New Mexico In Focus Correspondent:
• Tracy Dingmann, freelance journalist
• Gene Grant, Weekly Alibi columnist
Watch again online at KNME. Additionally, get updates, watch and follow KNME on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more.
New Mexico in Focus is produced by Kevin McDonald and Kathy Wimmer and closed captioning has been made possible by a gift from Mrs. Elspeth G. Bobbs.
Media Contact: Evy Todd, (505) 277-1218; e-mail: email@example.com
New Mexico in Focus Discusses the Risk of More Wildfires
June 23, 2011