New Mexico in Focus presents a companion piece to the national series, “The Story of the Jews with Simon Schama,” premiering Tuesday, March 25 at 7 p.m. The segment highlights the experience of “conversos” or “crypto-Jews” in New Mexico and fleshes out their history and their role in New Mexico heritage and identity.
New Mexico in Focus airs Friday night at 7 p.m. on Channel 5.1 and appears online at NMiF shortly thereafter. The show rebroadcasts Saturday at 5 p.m. on Channel 9.1 and again on Sunday at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1.
Also featured is Sunshine Week, a time to celebrate the laws that give citizens access to their government and the work of journalists, plus a look at the push to get more young people enrolled in the New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange.
- Susan Boe, executive director, New Mexico Foundation for Open Government
- Dr. Martin Hickey, director, New Mexico Health Insurance Exchange Board of Directors
- Dr. Beverly Kloeppel, director, Student Health & Counseling at UNM
- Dr. Frances Levine, director, New Mexico History Museum
- Sonya Loya, artisan and educator
- Dr. Roger Martínez-Dávila, professor, University of Colorado
- Dr. Isabelle Medina Sandoval, poet and descendant of Crypto-Jews
- James Tome, Agency vice president, HBW Insurance & Financial Services Inc.
- Gwyneth Doland, NMiF correspondent
- Megan Kamerick, NMiF producer
- Gene Grant
New Mexico in Focus is produced by Megan Kamerick. Funding has been provided in part by the McCune Foundation, the Communications Fund and the Santa Fe Community Foundation.