This week on New Mexico in Focus, Host Gene Grant sits down with Sen. Tom Udall in the first of a two-part interview. This week, the focus is on the investigation into the scandal surrounding Veterans Administration hospitals in several states, including New Mexico. Sen. Udall talks about getting a handle on the systemic problem at the VA and what he calls a betrayal of people who have served our country.
NMiF airs Friday, May 30 at 7 p.m. on Ch. 5.1. There is no Sunday repeat this week. Airs on Ch. 9.1 Saturday, May 31 at 5 p.m.
* NMiF Correspondent Furhana Afrid has a conversation with a group of young women - all high schools students - who are making strides in the field of technology. Twins Paige and Taylor Torres received state and national awards from the National Center for Women and Information Technology “Aspirations in Computing” program. Destyni Baca is a member of her school’s CyberPatriot team which made it to the national semi-finals this year. Taylor Chavez launched the first Teen Start-Up Weekend in Albuquerque, providing a platform for teens to present their entrepreneurial ideas. The four talk about what ignited their passion for technology and what it’s like to be a girl in a field still dominated by boys.
* A special Line opinion panel brings together a group of journalists that have been writing about the ongoing crisis in the Albuquerque Police Department. They gather with NMiF Host Gene Grant to discuss the most recent officer-involved shooting last week, a planned protest march in June by demonstrators upset with police violence, the complications and expense of requests for public information from APD, and more.
* Senator Tom Udall, (D) New Mexico
* Destyni Baca, Cleveland High School
* Taylor Chavez, Bosque School, Teen Startup Weekend Founder
* Paige Torres, School of Dreams Academy
* Taylor Torres, School of Dreams Academy
The Line guest panelists
* Russell Contreras, reporter, Associated Press
* Marisa Demarco, co-founder, New Mexico Compass
* Jeff Proctor, investigative producer, KRQE-TV
* Dan McKay, reporter, Albuquerque Journal
* Furhana Afrid, NMiF Correspondent
* Gene Grant
Megan Kamerick is producer of NMiF and Kathy Wimmer is associate producer. Funding for this program was provided in part by the McCune Foundation Communications Fund, Santa Fe Community Foundation.