This week on New Mexico in Focus, Producer Sarah Gustavus and the NMIF crew follows students from the Corrales International School, a charter school in Albuquerque, as they testify before the Senate Education Committee about a bill they wrote with Sen. John Sapien.
New Mexico in Focus regularly airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and repeats Sundays at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1, and Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. on Channel 9.1, except during pledge drives.
Correspondent Laura Paskus sits down with two environmental advocates to talk about how a wall along rugged parts of the border in New Mexico and Arizona might impact wildlife and New Mexicans who enjoy recreation and hunting in that area.
NMiF host Gene Grant and the Line opinion panelists debate some of the top stories in the news, including:
- How might a wall along rugged parts of the Mexican border in New Mexico & Arizona impact wildlife & New Mexicans who enjoy recreation & hunting in that area?
- Changes tn the state’s Internet-powered economic landscape
- What legislative bills have died and which are still kicking?
- Is there, what some are labeling, a higher education crisis in New Mexico?
- Bryan Bird, southwest program director for Defenders of Wildlife
- Garrett VeneKlasen, executive director of the New Mexico Wildlife Federation
- Janice Arnold-Jones, former state representative
- Tom Garrity, The Garrity Group PR
- Eric Griego, former state senator
- Sophie Martin, attorney and editor of DukeCityFix.com
- Sarah Gustavus
- Laura Paskus
Host / Commentator
- Gene Grant
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ prime-time news magazine show covering the events, issues, and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest. Hosted by Gene Grant, New Mexico in Focus takes a multi-layered look at social, political, economic, health, education and arts issues and explores them in-depth, with a critical eye to give them context beyond the "news of the moment."
The producer of New Mexico in Focus is Sarah Gustavus with Kathy Wimmer, associate producer. NM PBS Public Affairs executive producer is Kevin McDonald.
Funding for New Mexico in Focus is provided in part by the McCune Charitable Foundation.
Involved, informed, in-depth media: watch New Mexico in Focus again online shortly thereafter.