The elections may be more than a year away but the races are heating up across New Mexico. This week on New Mexico in Focus, State Auditor Hector Balderas talks about his decision to challenge Martin Heinrich as well as his priorities for the office now held by outgoing Senator Jeff Bingaman.
KNME's one hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 6:30 a.m. on KNME, Channel 5.1. The show can also be seen on KNME's Digital Channel 9.1 on Saturdays at 5 p.m.
Right now the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives are caught up in a political battle over whether or not to raise the nation's debt ceiling. And one of the loudest voices on the implications of not raising that ceiling is former New Mexico Senator Pete Domenici. Panelists weigh in on the political battle, and why New Mexico may have the most to gain or lose based on the final outcome.
Plus, there will be no redistricting in Albuquerque ahead of the October elections, despite a recent legal challenge. And what will Darren White's resignation mean for the future of Mayor Richard Berry's administration?
• Hector Balderas, (D), NM state auditor and U.S. Senate candidate
• Scott Stiegler, on-air host, KKOB 770 Radio
• John Wertheim, former New Mexico Democratic Party chairman
• Sophie Martin, former managing editor, DukeCityFix.com
• Laura Sanchez, environmental lawyer, Natural ResourcesDefense Council
New Mexico In Focus Correspondent:
• Gwyneth Doland, former editor, NewMexicoIndependent.com
• Gene Grant, Weekly Alibi columnist
Watch again online at KNME. Additionally, get updates, watch and follow KNME on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more.
New Mexico in Focus is produced by Kevin McDonald and Kathy Wimmer and closed captioning has been made possible by a gift from Mrs. Elspeth G. Bobbs.
Media Contact: Evy Todd, (505) 277-1218; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org