Time is running down on this year's 60-day legislative session, and there's still no budget. This week the House did approve a plan, but there are still a lot of areas that will need to be worked out with the Senate. This week New Mexico in Focus will debate and discuss the ongoing budget talks, including a new compromise plan for the film industry incentives.
KNME's one hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 6:30 a.m. on KNME, Channel 5.1. The show can also be seen on KNME's Digital Channel 9.1 on Saturdays at 5 p.m.
Of course, the budget isn't the only topic in the Roundhouse. This week NMIF Capitol Correspondent Gwyneth Doland talks with lawmakers and lobbyists about some proposals to change the way elections are held in New Mexico. Those proposals range from a new voter ID system, to the idea of creating large voting centers.
Election experts also weigh in on the plans as part of New Mexico in Focus' continuing commitment to the most involved, informed and in depth legislative coverage in the state.
***PLEASE NOTE: During the legislative session, all guests are subject to change, based on their availability.
• Represenative Brian Egolf, (D) Santa Fe
• Senator Howie Morales, (D) Silver City
• Senator Steve Neville, (R) Aztec
• Daniel Ivey Soto, lobbyist, New Mexico Association of Counties Clerks' Affiliate
• Steven Allen, executive director, Common Cause New Mexico
• Lonna Atkeson, UNM Political Science professor
• Maggie Toulouse Oliver, Bernalillo county clerk
THE LINE Panelists:
• Sophie Martin, managing editor, DukeCityFix.com
• Laura Sanchez, environmental lawyer, Natural Resources Defense Council
THE LINE Guest Panelists:
• Dan Foley, former House Minority Whip
• Stephen Spitz, public affairs producer, KUNM Radio
• Gene Grant, Weekly Alibi columnist
The Producers of New Mexico in Focus are Kevin McDonald and Kathy Wimmer. Funding for this program was provided in part by the McCune Foundation. Closed Captioning of New Mexico in Focus was made possible by a gift from Mrs. Elspeth G. Bobbs.
Get Updates, Watch, and Follow KNME on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more!