Since moving to remote and hybrid learning environments at the onset of the Pandemic, UNM Information Technologies (IT) has continuously worked to assure the security of digital classrooms. Beginning Nov.11, UNM will be offering new security options to protect the privacy of faculty and students.
The new default when scheduling UNM Zoom meetings will be “Require authentication to join” – meaning hosts can restrict meeting participants and webinar attendees to signed-in users only. In addition, hosts can further restrict meetings to Zoom users whose email addresses match a certain domain. All scheduled meetings will require at least one security option.
All previously scheduled meetings without a security option will have a waiting room added to the meeting. If needed, security options can be modified on a per meeting basis in the host’s meeting settings prior to scheduling. These changes will apply to all UNM Zoom meetings including “Personal Meeting Rooms” in UNM accounts. Changes will not apply to meetings scheduled through HSC Zoom accounts.
Lobos with UNM Zoom accounts are encouraged to familiarize themselves with security options and schedule new meetings with at least one security option enabled. If an option is selected in advance, this will eliminate the need to update security options later. Users should review the following instructions:
- Security Options when Scheduling a New UNM Zoom meeting, see FastInfo 7892.
- Add External Participants to UNM Zoom meetings that Require Authentication, see FastInfo 7897.
- Update Security Options on a Previously Scheduled meeting, see FastInfo 7893.
Information on joining meetings that require authentication:
- UNM students, faculty, and staff, joining a UNM (non-HSC) Zoom meeting that requires authentication with your UNM NetID as an attendee, see FastInfo 7891.
- HSC students, faculty, and staff, joining a UNM (non-HSC) Zoom meeting that requires authentication with your HSC ID as an attendee, see FastInfo 7894.
- HSC instructors who leverage UNM Zoom through UNM Learn must authenticate using their UNM Zoom/Learn (non-HSC) credentials.
For support specific to UNM Learn, including Zoom integrations with UNM Learn, feel free to contact the UNM Learn Support Team 24/7 at 505-277-0857.
For assistance with UNM IT services, please contact UNM IT Customer Support Services at 277-5757. Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.