As thousands of children around the state prepare for a night of costumes and trick-or-treating, the New Mexico Poison and Drug Information Center, part of the University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy, has some tips to make it a safe Halloween.

Have a happy Halloween by following these guidelines:

  • Read instructions when applying costume makeup, face paint, glitter or hair spray. Select non-toxic materials when using makeup and watch for skin irritations like rash or itching. If an irritation occurs, wash off the makeup immediately with soap and water. Keep all cosmetics out of the reach of children.
     
  • Feed your children before they go out trick or treating so they will not be tempted to eat candy before an adult has inspected it.
     
  • Have an adult inspect all candy or toys received in trick or treating. Only eat treats that are in original, unopened wrappers. Discard candy if wrappers are faded, have holes or tears or show signs of loose wrapping or re-wrapping.
     
  • Check homemade treats and fruits for foreign objects that may have been inserted or injected. Look for pins, razor blades and needles.
     
  • Drugs can look like candy. If you are not sure it is candy throw it away.
     
  • Remember that some treats can be poisonous to pets, especially chocolate.
     
  • Dry ice can be used in punch bowls but do NOT use in individual glasses because it can cause frostbite.

Call New Mexico Poison and Drug Information Center if you have questions or concerns about Halloween treats or what to do if makeup gets in the eyes or is ingested: 1-800-222-1222.