This week on New Mexico in Focus, correspondent Megan Kamerick leads a conversation about behavioral health services for teens across the state.
Earlier this year, correspondent Russell Contreras sat down with civil rights leader and New Mexico native Dolores Huerta, who co-founded what is now the United Farm Workers (UFW) along with Cesar Chávez. This week we feature their full conversation, where Huerta talks about the current political climate in the United States, her history of organizing, and why she is hopeful for the future.
NMiF re-broadcasts Megan Kamerick’s interview about the Indigenous comics scene with Lee Francis of Native Realities Press and DaleDeforest, creator of the Hero Twins comics. Francis opened Red Planet Books and Comics in Albuquerque earlier this month.
The show regularly airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and repeats Sundays at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1 and Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. on Channel 9.1, except during pledge drives.
- Dolores Huerta, Civil Rights leader
- Michele Herling, executive director of the Compassionate Touch Network
- Maika Padilla, Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council in Albuquerque
- Dr. George Davis, retired specialist in child and adolescent psychiatry
- Dr. Andrew Hsi, director of the Institute for Resilience, Health and Justice at The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center
- Lee Francis, Native Realities Press
- Dale DeForest, creator of the Hero Twins comic
- Russell Contreras
- Megan Kamerick
- None this week
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ prime-time news magazine show covering the events, issues, and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest. Hosted by Gene Grant, New Mexico in Focus takes a multi-layered look at social, political, economic, health, education and arts issues and explores them in-depth, with a critical eye to give them context beyond the "news of the moment.”
The producer of New Mexico in Focus is Sarah Gustavus with Kathy Wimmer, associate producer. NM PBS Public Affairs executive producer is Kevin McDonald.
Funding for New Mexico in Focus is provided in part by the McCune Charitable Foundation.
Involved, informed, in-depth media: watch New Mexico in Focus again online shortly thereafter.