New Mexico in Focus takes a look at the political uprisings in the Middle East and the devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan, and how the effects of those events have far-reaching impact, including right here in the Land of Enchantment.
KNME's one hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 6:30 a.m. on KNME, Channel 5.1. The show can also be seen on KNME's Digital Channel 9.1 on Saturdays at 5 p.m.
An Albuquerque woman, who was in Japan when the earthquake hit, shares her experiences and observations on the catastrophe and Mohammed el-Nawawy offers his insight on the role of social media in the political uprisings in Egypt.
Also this week, the Line panelists weigh in on the proposed tuition hike at UNM, the Republican race to replace Sen. Jeff Bingaman, as well as the latest rumors about a presidential run for former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson.
• Dr. Mohammed el-Nawawy, associate professor, Queens University of Charlotte
• Holly Kawakami, Japan Earthquake survivor
• Dan Foley, former House Minority Whip
• Brigette Russell, blogger, moraliablog.com
• Sophie Martin, former managing editor, DukeCityFix.com
• Laura Sanchez, environmental lawyer, Natural Resources Defense Council
• Gwyneth Doland, former editor, NewMexicoIndependent.com
• Tracy Dingmann, new media director, Center for Civic Policy
• Gene Grant, Weekly Alibi columnist
Watch again online at KNME. Additionally, get updates, watch and follow KNME on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more.
New Mexico in Focus is produced by Kevin McDonald and Kathy Wimmer and closed captioning has been made possible by a gift from Mrs. Elspeth G. Bobbs.
Media Contact: Evy Todd, (505) 277-1218; e-mail: email@example.com
NMIF Discusses Japan and the Middle East and the Impact on New Mexico
March 31, 2011