This week on New Mexico in Focus, correspondent Antonia Gonzales looks at how individuals and programs are helping to reduce the dropout rate for Native American students across the country, including here in New Mexico.
Gonzales sat down recently with some local leaders to talk about what's working and how they are using resources from tribes, the state, and federal government to better meet the needs of Native students.
The show regularly airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and repeats Sundays at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1 and Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. on Channel 9.1, except during Pledge Drives.
Additionally this week, Gene Grant and the Line opinion panelists debate several top stories in the news, including the decision by Albuquerque Public Schools to cut middle school sports programs, the Legislative Council’s plans to sue Governor Martinez to block her vetoes, and what will happen to travelers if Amtrak’s route through Albuquerque is cut by the Trump administration.
- Juan Rey Abeita (Isleta Pueblo), Isleta Pueblo Tribal Councilman
- Derrick J. Lente (Sandia Pueblo), NM State Representative-District 65
- Glenabah Martinez (Taos Pueblo/Diné), associate professor,
- Language, Literacy, and Sociocultural Studies Program, UNM College of Education
- Janice Arnold-Jones, former state representative
- Sophie Martin, attorney and editor of DukeCityFix.com
- Laura Sanchez-Rivét, attorney at Cuddy & McCarthy, LLP
- Harry Van Buren, professor in UNM Anderson School of Management
- Antonia Gonzales
This segment is a partnership with Koahnic Broadcast Corporation, a native-owned media company that produces Native America Calling and National Native News.
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ prime-time news magazine show covering the events, issues, and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest. Hosted by Gene Grant, New Mexico in Focus takes a multi-layered look at social, political, economic, health, education and arts issues and explores them in-depth, with a critical eye to give them context beyond the "news of the moment.”
The producer of New Mexico in Focus is Sarah Gustavus with Kathy Wimmer, associate producer. NM PBS Public Affairs executive producer is Kevin McDonald.
Funding for New Mexico in Focus is provided in part by the McCune Charitable Foundation.
Involved, informed, in-depth media: watch New Mexico in Focus again online shortly thereafter.
Get updates, watch and follow New Mexico PBS on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more.