This week on New Mexico in Focus, correspondent Gwyneth Doland looks at how uncertainty for international visitors is impacting groups in New Mexico that regularly welcome business leaders, artists, and experts from around the world.
Doland sits down with representatives of organizations that bring global visitors to Albuquerque to discuss why it's important for communities in New Mexico to have cultural exchanges with other countries.
Additionally, producer Sarah Gustavus sits down this week with Santa Fe New Mexican reporter Daniel Chacon to talk about the money spent on both sides and the arguments for and against the tax.
The show regularly airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and repeats Sundays at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1 and Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. on Channel 9.1, except during pledge drives.
Also this week, Gene Grant and the Line opinion panelists debate several top stories in the news, including updates on the New Mexico Legislature’s lawsuit challenging Governor Martinez’s vetoes, research that shows our state has fewer jobs now than at the start of the 2007 recession, and increasing challenges some people face trying to get a new license that's compliant with the REAL ID Act.
- Neal Copperman, executive director of AMP Concerts and co-founder of ¡Globalquerque!
- Juli Hendren, artistic director of Tricklock Company and the curator of Revolutions International Theatre Festival
- Adelle Lees, executive director of Global Ties ABQ
- Daniel Chacón, reporter, Santa Fe New Mexican
- Dan Foley, former New Mexico house minority whip
- Tom Garrity, the Garrity Group PR
- Sophie Martin, attorney and editor of DukeCityFix.com
- Christine Sierra, retired UNM political science professor
- Gwyneth Doland, NMiF Correspondent
- Sarah Gustavus, NMiF Producer
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ prime-time news magazine show covering the events, issues, and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest. Hosted by Gene Grant, New Mexico in Focus takes a multi-layered look at social, political, economic, health, education and arts issues and explores them in-depth, with a critical eye to give them context beyond the "news of the moment.”
The producer of New Mexico in Focus is Sarah Gustavus with Kathy Wimmer, associate producer. NM PBS Public Affairs executive producer is Kevin McDonald.
Funding for New Mexico in Focus is provided in part by the McCune Charitable Foundation.
Involved, informed, in-depth media: watch New Mexico in Focus again online shortly thereafter.
Get updates, watch and follow New Mexico PBS on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more.