As the spring semester draws to a close, The University of New Mexico’s Physical Plant Department (PPD) is gearing up to complete numerous sidewalk projects throughout the UNM campus. These projects are scheduled during times which will be the least disruptive to the campus community.
This summer, there are over a dozen projects scheduled to be completed. Several of these projects will be completed in order to comply with the requirement of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Two projects will improve storm drainage on campus while other projects are addressing concrete walkways that have become trip hazards or have deterioration issues.
Barricades and flagging will be installed at each work location to protect pedestrians and workers. Construction activities may create a significant amount of noise and PPD requests the community’s patience as these projects are completed. Please use caution when walking or driving in the vicinity of the construction zones.
Questions or concerns can be directed to Willie West, Associate Director of Environmental Services at 277-0615 or email@example.com, or Juan Garcia, Grounds and Landscaping Supervisor at 269-3467 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following projects are scheduled to begin the week of May 15, 2017 (should be completed by the end of May 2017):
- Dane Smith Hall - remove and replace storm drain inlets with ADA compliant inlets.
- North side of Ortega Hall - remove brick inlays that have settled and install six inch concrete.
- Yale/Central entrance - use bricks from Ortega project to fill in empty tree planters.
- Tucker at AMAFCA channel - install sidewalk ramps at intersection of Tucker and Camino de Salud.
- Tucker at AMAFCA channel - remove and replace drive ramp for channel access with roll curbs to accommodate pedestrian access.
- 1717 Roma - replace concrete around meter cans. Replace meter cans that are damaged.
The following projects should begin by the end of May (should be completed by the middle of June 2017):
- East of Mitchell Hall at the Center of the Universe - remove and replace damaged concrete.
- Northeast of the Art Building - remove existing asphalt and install new concrete.
- North side of Woodward Hall - remove concrete to improve drainage. Install new concrete in existing unused planters. Replace existing drain inlets with ADA compliant inlets.
- Cornell Mall - remove and replace concrete from Southeast corner of the Student Union Building (SUB) to southern circle planter. Replace one existing drain inlet with ADA compliant inlet. (Please note: additional work may occur with this project.)
- Student Resident Center - remove and replace various sections of sidewalk throughout center.
- Hokona Zuni - remove and replace concrete sidewalks in courtyard.