The University of New Mexico will reopen both of the University’s golf courses, The UNM Championship Golf Course and the UNM North Golf Course, with limited operations on Saturday, May 2 following new guidelines issued by the New Mexico Department of health on Thursday.
University golf courses will be following best practices for golf course operations under the current COVID-19 conditions. Golfers should be aware that not all services will be available and should expect to follow new safety precautions while at our facilities.
To prioritize the health and safety of our customers, and to comply with the current federal, state and local guidelines surrounding large gatherings, UNM has implemented the following safety measures at both courses:
At the Clubhouses and Parking Lots
- All rounds will require a paid tee time until further notice.
- Tee times in 10-minute intervals.
- All transactions will be completed at the door or via a walk-up window.
- Golf Shops and restrooms will remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Retail merchandise will be available for purchase over the phone with curbside delivery.
- We will accept credit card payments only, no cash handling.
- Golfers must remain six feet apart while waiting to check in for their tee time.
- Players are urged to not arrive at the golf course more than 15 minutes prior to their tee time and are expected to leave the course immediately when their round is complete.
- Lobo grill will remain closed. No congregating in areas surrounding snack bar, grill, or patios.
- Beverage carts will not be available at this time.
- Physical distancing will be enforced at all times.
On the Courses
- Tournaments and events have been postponed until further notice.
- All practice facilities will be closed until further notice.
- Walking is encouraged at both courses.
- UNM North Golf Course – Walking ONLY. Golf carts not available, except for ADA accessibility.
- UNM Championship Golf Course - One rider per golf cart unless golfers reside in the same household.
- All golf carts will be sanitized between rounds.
- No pencils will be allowed in golf carts.
- Cups will be turned upside down to allow for contactless ball retrieval.
- All ball washers have been removed.
- All bunker rakes will be removed.
- Flag sticks must stay in the hole at all times.
- All water fountains will remain off until further notice.
Face Coverings & Personal Safety Precautions
- Golfers maintaining the required six feet of physical distancing are not required to wear a face covering during play.
- Golfers are required to use face coverings while inside any building or interacting face to face with any staff during any transaction, whether inside or outside.
- All UNM golf course team members will be asked if they have any symptoms prior to working.
To book a tee time, call:
- UNM Championship Golf Course at 505-277-4546
- UNM North Golf Course at 505-277-4146
The extra precautions being taken at the UNM Golf Courses are expected to remain in effect for the foreseeable future. UNM Leadership is actively monitoring federal, state and local guidelines and encourages customers to keep checking the dedicated COVID-19 website for up-to-date information on decisions at UNM that could affect our business operations in the future.