The University of New Mexico is preparing to welcome new and returning Lobos with eight days of virtual programs for Welcome Back Days Fall 2020.
Welcome Back Days is organized through Student Activities Center to help students become acquainted with the university campus and community. Each program is designed to be an opportunity to find out what all the different departments have to offer.
“In past years, departments and student organizations would set up tables under tents around the Duck Pond to give out information to students about their programs and services. This year state guidance about in-person events requires us to move these programs to a virtual platform,” Student Activities Advisor Andrea Marquez said. “We are still dedicated to creating those opportunities for Lobos to get connected with campus resources and organizations.”
There will be three separate information fairs held via Zoom to connect new and current students with resources across campus. Departments and student organizations will host their own Zoom sessions and SAC will compile information about everyone participating into slides that students can browse through. Students then have the opportunity to join any of the Zoom sessions and speak directly with department staff and student organizations they're interested in.
Friday, Aug. 14 – Tigerland Virtual Escape Room
- Join the escape room with a team of 10
Sunday, Aug. 16 – Class Crawl
- In-state students | Aug. 16 | 9 to 11 a.m.
- Out-of-state students | Aug. 24 | 9 to 11 a.m.
*Students who register for a self-directed tour are required to wear a mask while on campus.
Monday, Aug. 17 – UNM Department Day
- Academic Departments | 10:30 a.m. to noon
- Student Service Departments | 1 to 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 18 – Safety Health and Wellness Day
- Follow UNM Instagram for a day filled with resources and helpful tips presented by Student, Health, and Counseling and Recreational Services.
- 7 p.m. | Sung Beats | Virtual beatboxer performance
Wednesday, Aug. 19 – UNM Communities Day
- Each resource center will host its own Zoom session.
Thursday, Aug. 20 – Student Organization Day
- Student organizations will host 30-minute Zoom sessions for students to attend.
- 2:15 to 2:45 p.m. | Academic/Dept + GPSA & Graduate + Honorary + Military
- 2:45 to 3:15 p.m. | Ethnic/Cultural + Religious + Service
- 3:15 to 3:45 p.m. | Sports & Rec + Political + Special Interest
- 3:45 to 4:15 p.m. | ASUNM
- 4:15 to 4:45 p.m. | Greek Life
- 7 p.m. | Sean Bott | Free mentalism show featuring mind reading, humor and self-care.
Friday, Aug. 21 – Campus Employment Fair
- Click on over to the Handshake Campus Job Fair. University departments will be hiring students for work-study and student employment positions.
“We hope to see Lobos come out virtually for all of the programs,” Marquez said.
Visit SAC's website to register for Zoom sessions.