Today, the U.S. Census Bureau released Census Explorer, a new interactive mapping tool that paints a portrait of how neighborhoods within New Mexico have changed over the past two decades.
With statistics released today from the 2008-2012 American Community Survey through UNM's Bureau of Business and Economic Research (BBER), the map illustrates how states, counties and census tracts have changed since the 1990 and 2000 censuses.
“The American Community Survey provides a wide range of important statistics about our community,” said Bureau of Business and Economic Research staff. “The American Community Survey gives us the current information we need to plan investments and services. Retailers, homebuilders, police departments and town and city planners are among the many private- and public-sector decision makers in our community who count on these annual results.”
The tool allows users to look at eight statistics. For example, the current American Community Survey statistics released today show that:
* The population in New Mexico is 2,055,287.
* In New Mexico, 13.4 percent of the population is 65 or older.
* The foreign-born population is 9.8 percent.
* 83.4 percent of the population 25 and older have a high school diploma or higher.
* 25.6 percent of the population 25 and older have bachelor’s degree or higher.
* 61.3 percent of the population 16 and older are in the labor force.
* The home ownership rate is 68.9 percent.
* The median household income in New Mexico is $44,886.
For More Information
In addition to these characteristics, more than 40 socioeconomic topics about New Mexico are available with today's release of American Community Survey statistics. For example, the topics include health insurance coverage, educational attainment, occupation, language spoken at home and ancestry.
For more information, view a profile showing a summary of the area’s social, economic and housing characteristics. A narrative profile providing a graphical and narrative presentation of the American Community Survey statistics is also available.