The University of New Mexico is set to host the next step as part of its Strategic Plan Launch for UNM 2040: Opportunity Defined on Friday, May 6 from 12 to 1:30 p.m. in Student Union Ballrooms B&C.
The program starts at 12 noon with Dion’s pizza available while it lasts, as well as some other refreshments. This time will be an opportunity to generate some interactive content through polling and conversation. The Launch itself begins at 12:30 p.m. with UNM President Garnett S. Stokes sharing UNM's collective roadmap for the future, including updated and new statements of UNM's vision, mission and goals, and the designated Goal Champions discussing the plan and presenting each of the five UNM 2040 Goals.
For those who cannot join in person – such as UNM's branch campuses colleagues – the livestream will be available on the UNM Live YouTube channel. Interested individuals can participate virtually through MentiMeter polling during the event or ongoing UNM social media interactions. Feedback on UNM 2040 is encouraged.
The purpose of the event is to not just share the goals but to convey what they mean to the UNM campus community and how individuals can make a difference in the future direction of the University. The yearlong+ process to craft a multi-year plan to build the future of UNM began in April 2021, and has been driven by a small project team with a larger steering committee chaired by Stokes. The plan is designed to provide the campus community with both a vision and framework for the University’s future 20 years from now and to establish immediate steps designed to move the campus toward that vision.
“I’m excited about our future at The University of New Mexico, and I invite all Lobos to attend the Launch of UNM2040: Opportunity Defined, our mutli-year roadmap to help steer us into the middle of the 21st century," said Stokes. "This is our plan, created by the Lobo community for the Lobo community. And just as it took all of us working together to create this blueprint for our future, so, too, will it take all of us working together to put our plan into action.”
The five goals include:
- One University
- Student experience and educational innovation
- Advance New Mexico
- Inclusive excellence
Individuals may prepare for the launch by reviewing the goals and the objectives of each goal. For more information and the key objectives, visit UNM 2040 Goals. For a list of the task forces driving each goal visit UNM 2040 Task Forces.
The 6-Phase planning process has also provided UNM with the following key outcomes:
- a long-horizon aspirational vision
- a renewed statement of shared values
- an environmental analysis of UNM strategic advantages, opportunities for differentiation, areas of challenge and recommendations for UNM’s aras of focus
- a statement of the value proposition of UNM as a place of research, diversity, discovery, health care, service, creation, innovation and learning
- a set of university-level strategic goals to pursue over the next five years that will move the institution toward its aspirational vision with these goals being verifiable, although not necessarily quantifiable
- an immediate set of concrete actions or tasks to undertake over the next year or two to drive achievement of the strategic plan
"This is a time to celebrate, discover why all of this matters to us as a University and as individual Lobos, and to get energized to really dig into our goals," said Stokes.
For more information on the overall initiative, visit UNM 2040: Opportunity Defined.