The University of New Mexico’s Mentoring Institute hosts its 11th Annual Mentoring Conference: Mentoring, Coaching and Leadership for Innovation and Entrepreneurship. The five-day event takes place Oct. 22 through Oct. 26 in the Student Union Building. The standard registration deadline is Oct. 14.

The Mentoring Institute aims to host a broad constituency, including divisions of higher education, academic researchers, educators, community leaders, administrators, non-profit partners, government agencies, and other professionals. At this conference, a wide range of diverse individuals join a rich mix of conversation, networking opportunities and hands-on workshops regarding mentoring, coaching, and leadership

Several of the Mentoring Conference’s plenary speakers and their topics include:

  • “The Coaching and Mentoring Way in Mentoring and Leadership,” Bob Garvey- York St. John Business School- Change and Innovation are central to organizational progress, but some models of mentoring and leadership expect you to be a hero, be perfect, and be able to change your attitudes and behaviors to suit the moment or simply transform people into super men or women with peak performance—overnight! Most of us know that it just is not like that because we live it daily. This workshop will teach key skills and processes of mentoring and leadership that will enhance and develop existing programs.
  • “Effective Mentoring,” Bruce Birren and Stephanie House-Broad Institute, University of Wisconsin-Madison- Effective mentoring is integral for academic persistence, productivity and success. Despite this fact, researchers are often left to their own devices to learn how to mentor through trial and error. To address this need, the National Research Mentoring Network (NRMN) provides evidence-based training that provides mentors with a framework for guiding their research mentoring relationships, introduction to the best practices in mentoring and links to mentorship resources for themselves and their mentees.
  • “How to Mentor, Coach, and Lead an Age Diverse Workforce and Multi-generational Teams” Tamara Thorpe- As a result of the Great Recession, corporate mergers, and business growth, organizations today are becoming increasingly age diverse. Organizations can have up to five generations in the workplace, from Traditionalist (or the Silent Generation) who were born between 1925 and 1945 to Generation Z who were born in the mid-1990s and later. It is reported that by 2030, there will be 70 million older people remaining in the workforce, which is double the number in 1996. This level of age diversity is a new phenomenon that requires more innovative and entrepreneurial approaches to mentoring, coaching and leadership.

For a list of all speakers visit conference speakers.

To view the conference schedule, visit the Mentoring Institute's overview

Last year’s Mentoring conference attracted more than 500 mentoring researchers and practitioners with 88 percent of attendees were faculty staff or students from higher education. The remaining 12 percent were professionals and practitioners from health care, government, non-profit and business organizations.

To register, visit conference registration.