The Public Service Company of New Mexico (PNM) presented numerous awards during June’s Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce meeting, and the University of New Mexico (UNM) was one of the recipients. UNM was honored with the 2015 Business Energy Efficiency Star in the Nonprofit/Government category.
This award was based on UNM’s demonstration of energy efficiency on the types and/or volume of energy equipment rebate requests that were submitted through the PNM’s rebate program. PNM stated that UNM had submitted rebate requests of almost $100,000 in 2014 to set themselves apart from others in this category.
Some of the larger projects that contributed to winning this award include:
- Northrop Hall - installation of more efficient Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system and the installation of controls.
- Regener Hall - installation of efficient HVAC system, LED lighting, and controls.
- Nursing & Pharmacy - installation of LED lighting.
- Continuing Education - installation of more efficient HVAC system.
- Woodward Hall - installation of more efficient HVAC system, LED lighting, and controls.
- New Mexico Law Center - installation of more efficient HVAC system and controls.
- Art Building - installation of more efficient HVAC system, LED lighting and controls.
This is the second consecutive year UNM has received an award from PNM for energy efficient projects. Last year, UNM received the 2014 Business Energy Efficiency Star Innovative Award for the most innovative energy efficiency project for the new construction of the Casa Del Rio dormitories and its state-of-the-art HVAC system installed during construction. The rebate funds UNM receives from PNM are put back into energy efficient projects on campus.