New Mexico Press Women recognized UNM with 14 awards in its annual communication contest.
Six first place awards went to:
• Jana Fothergill and John Sumrow, University Communication and Marketing, and Ellen Biderman, Family Development Program, College of Education, for "Watch Me Play Watch Me Learn."
• Laurie Mellas, Parent Relations, and Kim Jarigese and Sharon Steely, Extended University, for UNM Family Weekend. Mellas also received a third place award for Parent Matters, a monthly e-newsletter for parents of UNM students.
• Linda Thornton, UNM-Gallup, for "Anthropology Student Takes Knowledge Home."
• Mara Kerkez, UCAM, for "Dancing with a Tiger By the Tail" in Mirage Magazine.
• Sherri Burr, School of Law, for "Keep Film Rebate Caps on Shelf" in the Albuquerque Journal and "Minding Finances," a Southwest Writers column.
First place winners go on to national competition.
UNM staff and faculty also received seven second place awards:
• Chellis Glendinning, KUNM, for "Reconcito en El Cielo."
• Carolyn Gonzales, UCAM, and Richard Schaefer, Department of Communication and Journalism, for a UNM alumni profile blog.
• Sari Krosinsky, Jana Fothergill and Gonzales, UCAM, for the print edition of UNM Today.
• Megan Kamerick, KUNM, for "Nonprofit Blues," "Women's Focus: Chicana Badgirls" and an interview with Anne Weaver.
• Sherri Burr for her speech "Good Job + Right Path = Life Purpose."
In addition to the communication contest, NMPW's Zia Book Award was given to Jeanette Boyer's "Junkyard Dreams" (UNM Press), and scholarships were awarded to three UNM students: Abigail Ramirez, Florencio Olguin and Gabriela Elise Campos.
For information visit http://www.newmexicopresswomen.org/.
- Inside UNM