The University of New Mexico’s Summer Sports Leadership and Learning Academy, formerly known as the Summer Youth Sports Program, is now open for registration. The camp is designed to keep the minds and bodies of children active throughout the summer.
The six-week camp, housed in the Department of Health, Exercise and Sports Sciences (HESS) in the UNM College of Education, is now comprised of three programs, all of which run from June 5 through July 14 at the Johnson Gym. The camp grew out of the SYSP, Healthy U at the U, and now has extended hours.
The low-cost program is a healthy, safe, fun summer camp primarily for children whose families cannot afford paid summer care. It helps children and adolescents make positive lifestyle choices and offers an alternative to being out on the streets during summer break.
The programs include:
Summer Sports Leadership and Learning Academy - $60, 8 a.m.–3 p.m., ages 8 - 14.
- Activities include: STEM, basketball, volleyball, soccer, football, rugby, cooperative games, dance and swimming. Extended times: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Registration will be held on June 1 & 2 form 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Johnson Center.
Summer Afternoon Sports Camp - $80, 3 p.m.– 5 p.m., ages 5 – 14.
- Activities include: Basketball, volleyball, soccer, football, rugby, cooperative games, dance, swimming, movies and team building activities.
Summer Sports Kids Camp - $345, 8 a.m.–5 p.m., ages 5 – 10.
- Activities include: basketball, volleyball, soccer, football, rugby, cooperative games, dance, swimming, movies and team building activities.
- The primary purpose is to help parents that have children in the Learning Academy and have younger children have a quality program for the younger children at the same location as the older children. The program is not funded and therefore has a $345 cost for the six-week period.
To register or for more information, visit UNM’s College of Education website. For questions, contact Andy Mooneyhan at email@example.com or call 505.277.3104.
To donate to the program, download and fill out the donation form.