UNM's Comadre a Comadre Program is offering a summer internship working with a community health project in breast cancer for a dynamic, self-motivated individual. The intern will, under direct supervision, provide comprehensive case management - clinic to community navigation- for women needing breast cancer screening referral and follow-up; pre-diagnostic and diagnosed breast cancer patients and their families; requiring follow up of cancer resources and services to improve quality of life and maintain the highest possible ability to function within the community. The selected intern will receive UNM FITI Human Subjects Certification.
The selected intern will be trained to:
• Conduct community resource navigation and initial patient and family assessment measures
• Coordinate with program staff including the Community Health Educator and Peer Mentor Comadres
• Ensure continuity of services at specific facilities and in the community
• Implement program protocols
• Interface with clinicians, cancer organizations, community agencies, and institutions as needed by the program
• Complete program documentation including patient reports and logs; and more.
The selected intern will gain experience in:
• Working with Community Based Programs
• Working with diverse communities, especially Hispanic/Latino communities
• Resolving Barriers Related to Health Care Access
• Oncology Care
• Community Outreach
• Bachelor's Degree
• Truly bilingual; speaking, reading and writing in both Spanish and English
• Interest in women's health, community health, and/or case management
A successful intern will have potential for growth within the program as a part-time staff member
Send resume and contact information to email@example.com ATTN: Internship, Dr. Elba L. Saavedra.
- Inside UNM