With over 10 million square feet of facilities and 680 acres of space The University of New Mexico has quite a job on its hands maintaining the campus. Such a job requires extensive planning and diligence to protect and care for the physical environment here at UNM.
Summer is the best time to complete many needed improvements and projects as the majority of students and faculty are on break. Now that the spring semester is over, UNM’s Physical Plant Department (PPD) has announced the summertime projects for 2016.
The following projects are on or near main campus and at the Health Sciences Center (HSC):
HSC: Concrete Projects
- Drainage correction—west side of Domenici Mind. Installation of drainage swales and a holding basin. Some regrading of area. Start date June 21.
- Replace storm drain inlet in sidewalk east of Nursing & Pharmacy. Current grate does not meet ADA requirements and work will require sidewalk closure. Start date: June 15.
- Remove and replace asphalt sidewalk north of Emergency Medicine at Innovation, Discovery and Training Complex (IDTC), minor grading corrections and installation of concrete sidewalk. Start date: June 6.
- Remove and replace asphalt sidewalk north of Novitski Hall. Minor grading corrections, reset utility vault and installation of concrete sidewalk. Start date: June 6.
- Remove and replace concrete driveway between HSSB and Nursing & Pharmacy. Install new bollards, access control gate and minor regrading. Start date: TBA.
HSC: Landscape Projects
- Install landscaping on north side of IDTC. Work includes removal of existing plant material, grading, installation of irrigation systems, installation of trees and shrubs, installation of appropriate new lawn areas. Start Date: May 4.
- Resupply waterline to landscape areas at the basketball court west of HSC Library. Work includes excavation of planter, removal of concrete and installation of new waterline from tunnel. Start date: April 25.
HSC: Roadway Projects
- Remove and replace asphalt on Yale Blvd. from the roundabout to Tucker Ave. Work includes removal of existing roadway, reset utility valve covers, new asphalt, and pavement markings. Work will require complete closure of road from roundabout to Tucker Ave. for two-and-a-half-weeks. Estimated Start date: June 6.
Main Campus: Concrete Projects
- Remove and replace storm drain inlets in Redondo Way at the SRC’s, Simpson Hall and Hokona Hall. Work will involve partial walkway closures to replace current grates that do not meet ADA requirements. Start date: June 15.
- Remove and replace concrete at three buildings at SRC complex. Start date: May 16.
- Remove and replace concrete in courtyard at Hokona Zia. Start date: May 16.
- Remove and replace asphalt and concrete walkway west of Logan Hall with new concrete walkway. Start date: June 13.
- Remove and replace damaged concrete south of Computer pod—Bldg. 2. Start date: June 13.
- Modifications to refuse enclosure at Mattox building. New concrete slab, walls and gates. Start date: June 9.
- East side of the Student Union Building (SUB) – remove and replace concrete. Start date: May 24. Project scheduled completion: June 17.
Main Campus: Landscape Projects
- Replace irrigation system east side of Dane Smith Hall. Start date: May 16.
Main Campus: Roadway Projects
- Mill and overlay Redondo drive from Coronado Hall to Pearl Hall. Work involves milling of existing asphalt, minor asphalt patching, asphalt overlay, reset utility access covers and valve covers and pavement markings. Work will take up to four weeks and will require intermittent lane closures. Estimated start date: June 20.
Individuals on campus are encouraged to find alternate routes whenever feasible to avoid possible hazards.