University of New Mexico students, staff, faculty and community members are planning a virtual vigil to honor and mourn in solidarity with AAPI Communities Friday, April 9 at 5:30 p.m.
The vigil will begin with a discussion featuring students, faculty and community and include spoken word, dance and musical performances. Individuals interested in attending the virtual vigil are asked to register.
Several spaces have been identified throughout the community that will be open for individuals to use to meditate and reflect:
- The “U” at Hodgin Hall Alumni Center
- Grass field in from of the HSC Library
- Chinese Culture Center
- Presbyterian Hospital Downtown Healing Garden
- Presbyterian Health Center in Rio Rancho Healing Garden
Due to COVID-19 protocols, only hospital employees and patients will be allowed to use the two Presbyterian Healing Gardens.
Luminaria kits are available for pickup at the following locations:
- UNM Main Campus: Student Activities Center in SUB Room 1018 | Thursday and Friday from noon to 4 p.m.
- UNM Health Science Center: Fitz Hall | Badge access is required for HSC faculty and students
- UNM Hospital: Nursing Excellence, 3rd Floor, BBRP
Individuals are encouraged to leave mementos including white flowers, messages of hope or luminarias at any of the above locations through Sunday.