Associate Professor, Department of Biology
Areas of Expertise
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biology and Curator of Birds at the Museum of Southwestern Biology (MSB) of the University of New Mexico.
- Areas of research interest include avian systematics and molecular evolution; evolutionary inference using phylogenetic comparative methods; hummingbird evolution and comparative physiology; high altitude adaptation; and integrative ornithology.
- Witt uses museum specimens to study biogeography and evolution of birds, with a geographic focus on the Andes and the southwestern USA.
- His research approaches include comparative genomics, physiology, phylogenetics and parasitology.
- Witt has published over 40 peer-reviewed articles.
- Witt received his Ph.D. in 2004 from Louisiana State University and conducted his postdoctoral work at UC-Berkeley (2005-2006), before starting at UNM in 2007.
Additional areas of interest
Evolution, evolutionary biology, ornithology, birds
If you would like to contact this expert for a story, please call Dianne Anderson at (505) 277.1807 (office), (505) 379.9105 (cell); Karen Wentworth at (505) 277-5627 (office), (505) 220.0313 (cell) or University Communication and Marketing (UCAM) at (505) 277.5813.