Areas of Expertise
- Professor Lonna Atkeson is a Regents' Lecturer and director of the Center for the Study of Voting, Elections and Democracy in the UNM Political Science Department.
- A national expert in the field of election administration, Atkeson's general research involves a variety of subfields within political science including elections, campaigns, election administration, public opinion, political behavior, the media, political psychology, state politics, gender politics and political methodology.
- Atkeson has made presentations to the New Mexico legislatures Campaign Finance Reform Committee and been a member of the Help American Vote Act New Mexico Advisory Commission.
- Atkeson's work has appeared in many of the top journals in the policitcal science discipline including: the American Political Science Review, the American Journal of Political Science, The Journal of Politics, Public Opinion Quarterly, Political Research Quarterly, European Journal of Political Research, American Politics Quarterly, and Political Behavior.
- Atkeson was selected as a winner of the Society for Political Methodology’s 2015 Excellence in Mentoring Award.
- Received the "Emerging Scholar" award from the Political Parties and Organizations Section of the American Political Science Association in 1998.
- Named UNM Regents' Lecturer in 2001.
- Common Cause of New Mexico honored Atkeson with the Jayk Talor Best in Government Award in 2010, while Verified Voting New Mexico presented her with a Distinguished Service Award in 2009.
- Atkeson has received grants from the National Science Foundation, Pew Charitable Trusts, the JEHT Foundation, the Department of Defense, Bernalillo County and the New Mexico Secretary of State.
Additional areas of interest
Atkeson's work uses public opinion data to assess the impact of the political and institutional environment, but she also utilizes aggregate data, elite interviewing, contextual analysis and experiments in her research designs.
If you would like to contact this expert for a story, please call Dianne Anderson at (505) 277.1807 (office), (505) 379.9105 (cell); Karen Wentworth at (505) 277-5627 (office), (505) 220.0313 (cell) or University Communication and Marketing (UCAM) at (505) 277.5813.