Professor, Earth and Planetary Sciences
Areas of Expertise
- Professor Tobias Fischer, a UNM faculty member since 2000, specializes in geochemistry and volcanology
- Steering committee member of the Deep Carbon Observatory's (DCO) reservoirs and fluxes community
- Fischer’s community is dedicated to identifying the principal deep carbon reservoirs, to determining the mechanisms and rates by which carbon moves among these reservoirs, and to assess the total carbon budget of earth
- Chair and board member of Deep Carbon Degassing Initiative (DCO) since 2013
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in noble gas geochemistry applied to volcanic and geothermal systems
- Earned his Ph.D. (1999) in Geology from Arizona State University
Additional areas of Interest
Geothermal energy, geochemistry, volcanoes and volcanic hazards, global natural emissions of carbon and instrumentation for measuring volatiles.
If you would like to contact this expert for a story, please call Dianne Anderson at (505) 277.1807 (office), (505) 379.9105 (cell); Karen Wentworth at (505) 277-5627 (office), (505) 220.0313 (cell) or University Communication and Marketing (UCAM) at (505) 277.5813.