The 2021 staff recipients for the Gerald W. May award were recently announced, honoring Lobos who are exemplary staff.
In 1990, UNM President Gerald W. May provided funds to award UNM’s outstanding staff members. The Staff Council now uses these funds to recognize staff who have made significant contributions to departments and university-wide goals.
Each fall, staff members are nominated by other staff, faculty, and students at the University. The nominees are then reviewed by the Staff Council Rewards & Recognition Committee and the Staff Council Executive Committee. Finally, the president of the University selects the final winners.
There is a minimum of three awards given out annually. The winners are given a monetary award, plaque, and ceremony. The 2021 award winners are:
- Diana Martinez, HSC Learning Environment Office
- Julie Morrison, Physics and Astronomy
- Dr. Stephanie McIver, Student Health and Counseling
- Katie Williams, Alumni Relations
- Winton Wood, Pediatrics Center for Development
- Dr. James Wilterding, Student Health and Counseling
An award ceremony is being held on Dec. 16 to honor the recipients. The ceremony is being held virtually this year via zoom. It will include a welcome from Staff Council President Scott Sanchez, remarks from UNM President Garnett S. Stokes, and more.