This year, The University of New Mexico’s Benefits & Employee Wellness is encouraging all employees, including faculty, staff, and students, to take advantage of no-cost flu shots available in the community.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are many positive indicators for getting your flu vaccine, and during 2020-21 to protect yourself and the people around you from influenza, and to help reduce the strain on healthcare systems responding to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The flu vaccine prevents millions of illnesses and flu-related hospitalizations each year. During 2018-2019, 49 percent of the U.S. population chose to get a flu vaccine, and the CDC estimates they prevented a projected 4.4 million influenza illnesses, 58,000 influenza-associated hospitalizations, and 3,500 flu deaths.
The flu vaccine has been shown to reduce the risk of having to go to the doctor with flu by 40 to 60 percent and flu shots protect you, your family, your co-workers, and your community.
There are many options available for the UNM campus community including:
- Drive-thru Clinics will be offered by UNM Hospital, Sept. 26 through Oct. 31, throughout Albuquerque. View the Flu Shot Schedule for details.
- The Main Event UNM Walk-up Clinics will be offered Tuesday, Oct. 20 and Wednesday, Oct. 21 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Cornell Plaza (please note location change), near the SUB Satellite Coffee entrance. Free parking will be available in the Cornell Parking Structure. Just notify the attendant you are going to the clinic and you will be given a parking pass. View the event details.
Be sure to follow COVID-19 safety measures when attending a flu shot clinic including:
- Wear a mask
- Wear a short-sleeved shirt and (if you have one)
Getting your flu vaccine this year is more important than ever. Getting your flu shot helps reduce the burden on our healthcare system, which could be overwhelmed treating both flu and COVID-19 patients this fall and winter.
Make sure to discuss with your doctor before proceeding, to ensure that your health status warrants taking the flu vaccine.
Unable to make it to the Main Event? Visit our flu shot resources page for other clinics and resources in the Albuquerque area and across the state. Learn more about other options for faculty, staff, and students at our 2020 Flu Shot webpage.
Remember to show your medical plan ID card to receive your vaccine this season at the various UNM community flu shot clinics or your prescription drug benefit ID card at participating pharmacies in the Albuquerque area.
Additional Flu Shot Options for Faculty and Staff if you are enrolled in a UNM medical and prescription drug plan:
- Retail Pharmacies - Use your UNM Express Scripts ID card to go to a local retail pharmacy.
- Download the Express Scripts app to get your ID card.
- PCP - Use your UNM medical plan ID card and go to your PCP to get a flu shot.
Additional New Mexico Flu Shot Clinic Options and Resources
- New Mexico Department of Health
The NM Department of Health offers vaccinations for people without insurance or who are otherwise unable to get vaccinated. For information on locations in your area, visit the Public Health Offices page.
- HealthMap Vaccine Finder
- CDC Flu Vaccine Finder – Find a local pharmacy near you that offers flu shots.
Note: Many local pharmacies and/or your primary care provider may have flu shots available.
Protect the Pack. Get your get a flu shot today.