This week on New Mexico in Focus, producer Sarah Gustavus sits down with the head of the Jewish Community Center of Greater Albuquerque to talk about the response to the recent wave of bomb threats at their center and other JCCs across the country.
New Mexico in Focus regularly airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and repeats Sundays at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1, and Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. on Channel 9.1, except during pledge drives.
Correspondent Gwyneth Doland reports from the Roundhouse with a look at the cost of addressing crime and what is at stake if lawmakers can’t see where money is being spent in private prisons. This segment is part of the People, Power and Democracy Project, a collaborative multimedia project that examines ethics and transparency in state government.
Correspondent Laura Paskus talks with John Fleck, author of “Water is for Fighting Over and Other Myths about Water in the West,” about the past and future of the Colorado River. Fleck, who is the director of The University of New Mexico's Water Resources Program, is an author and former environmental reporter for the Albuquerque Journal.
NMiF host Gene Grant and the Line opinion panelists will also discuss issues including:
- The Jewish Community Center of Greater ABQ Talks About Responding To The Recent Wave of Bomb Threats At Their Center & Other JCCs Across The Country
- The cost of Addressing Crime & What’s At Stake If Lawmakers Can’t See Where Money Is Being Spent In Private Prisons
- The Decision By Bernalillo County’s New DA, To Not Retry Former APD Officers In The Shooting Death of James Boyd
- What Bills Have Already Fizzled During The State’s Legislative Session?
- How Might Policies Laid Out In President Trump’s First Address To A Joint Session Of Congress Affect NM?
- Dave Simon, executive director, Jewish Community Center of Greater Albuquerque
- John Fleck, author, “Water is for Fighting Over and Other Myths about Water in the West”
- Tom Garrity, The Garrity Group PR
- Rachel Sams, editor of Albuquerque Business First
- Laura Sanchez-Rivét, attorney at Cuddy & McCarthy, LLP
- Stephen Spitz, host of New Mexico People Places and Ideas on KUNM
- Gwyneth Doland
- Sarah Gustavus
- Laura Paskus
- Gene Grant
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ prime-time news magazine show covering the events, issues, and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest. Hosted by Gene Grant, New Mexico in Focus takes a multi-layered look at social, political, economic, health, education and arts issues and explores them in-depth, with a critical eye to give them context beyond the "news of the moment."
The producer of New Mexico in Focus is Sarah Gustavus with Kathy Wimmer, associate producer. NM PBS Public Affairs executive producer is Kevin McDonald.
Funding for New Mexico in Focus is provided in part by the McCune Charitable Foundation.
Involved, informed, in-depth media: watch New Mexico in Focus again online shortly thereafter.