This week New Mexico in Focus Correspondent Antonia Gonzales talks with advocates working to address the stigma of domestic abuse and sexual assault in Indian Country and offering opportunities to help young people learn about healthy relationships.
The Coalition to STOP Violence Against Native Women uses culture and social media to support communities while working with tribal leaders, local, state and federal officials to not only advocate for families, but to change the conversation about violence.
Additionally this week, approximately 15 percent of New Mexico’s student population participates in some form of bilingual education. Producer Sarah Gustavus sits down with educators to talk about what bilingual education looks like in different schools, in our latest Education Desk report. They also examine how proposed changes to bilingual education in our state might impact students and communities.
Also, NMiF Host Gene Grant and the Line opinion panelists debate some of the top news stories of the week.
- Deleana OtherBull (Crow and Northern Cheyenne), executive director, Coalition to STOP Violence Against Native Women
- Keioshiah Peter (Navajo), Native Youth coordinator, Coalition to STOP Violence Against Native Women
- Kevin Washburn (Chickasaw), professor, University of New Mexico School of Law
- Victoria Tafoya, director of Operations, Dual Language Education of New Mexico
- Damian Vergara Wilson, coordinator, Sabine Ulibarri Spanish as a Heritage Language Program, UNM.
- Dede Feldman, former state senator
- Dan Foley, former House minority whip
- Sophie Martin, attorney
- H. Diane Snyder, former state senator
- Antonia Gonzales
- Sarah Gustavus
- Gene Grant
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ prime-time news magazine show covering the events, issues, and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest. Hosted by Gene Grant, New Mexico in Focus takes a multi-layered look at social, political, economic, health, education and arts issues and explores them in-depth, with a critical eye to give them context beyond the "news of the moment.”
The producer of New Mexico in Focus is Sarah Gustavus with Kathy Wimmer, associate producer. NM PBS Public Affairs executive producer is Kevin McDonald.
Funding for New Mexico in Focus is provided in part by the McCune Charitable Foundation.
Involved, informed, in-depth media: watch New Mexico in Focus again online shortly thereafter.