Roadrunner Food Bank is opening up an opportunity to the campus community at The University of New Mexico to volunteer at its annual volunteer event for UNM staff, students, faculty, family and friends. The event will be held Friday, Dec. 27 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
UNM volunteers sort and pack food for needy families throughout the community as part of the holiday tradition called “Pay it Forward.” Roadrunner Food Bank distributes this food through a statewide network for smaller food banks, direct service programs, more than 600 emergency food pantries, group homes, low-income daycare centers, shelters and hot meal programs. In turn, these organizations provide food and/or meals to nearly 40,000 different people every week.
Shift times include:
- 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
What volunteers can expect:
- Volunteers work in a warehouse near large equipment such as forklifts and pallet jacks.
- Volunteers perform tasks that use their hands.
- Volunteers should have fingers and arms with dexterity, to be able to physically handle, lift and move product and stand for periods of time.
- Volunteers should be able to follow and accept instructions for volunteer projects.
- Hair nets, smocks and booties are provided. Comfortable shoes are suggested.
- Bringing snacks and drinks to be kept in the lobby for breaks are acceptable.
- No cell phones allowed in work area.
UNM staff member Mark Reynold has coordinated volunteers for this event for several years, is leading the effort once again. Interested volunteers can sign up via Roadrunner Food Bank Sign Up or can email Reynolds for more information at email@example.com.
For more than 35 years, Roadrunner Food Bank has been committed to solving hunger across New Mexico. While the RRFB distributes enough food to feed the city of Santa Fe every week, it still is not enough. More than 63 million meals are missing from the plates of hungry people across New Mexico.
Roadrunner Food Bank is located at 5840 Office Blvd., NE in Albuquerque.
For more information, visit Roadrunner Food Bank.