The University of New Mexico will utilize a number of safety precautions in connection with a speaking engagement by British author and social media provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos.
Yiannopoulos, who was invited to campus by a chartered student organization, will be appearing in the Student Union Building Ballrooms at 6 p.m.
While not a UNM event, this program is being held in a UNM venue. There will be a large security presence in the area to ensure the safety of attendees, both for those who are attending the event and those who plan to protest the event, as well as those who are in the area for other purposes.
Several operations will close early on Friday, and several restrictions have also been put in place to ensure the safety for one and all.
- The top deck of the Yale Parking Structure will be blocked off from 12 noon to 10 p.m.
- UNM Bookstore and University Libraries will close at 4 p.m.
- Food operations at the SUB will close at 3 p.m.
- Lower level services and offices will close at 4 p.m., except for the SUB Theater and 3rd level, which has events scheduled.
- Access to the SUB Theater will only be through the south 1st floor doors (use outside stairwell) of the SUB to enter.
- Access to 3rd floor meetings and events will also be only through the south (main or 2nd level) entrance via elevator and stairs.
- Access to the Milo Yiannopoulos event will only be through the SUB’s east doors.
- All other doors will be closed.
- Access to the dining area will be closed.
- Queueing for the event will begin on the upper-patio at about 4:45 – 5 p.m.
- No-one will be allowed to attend the event without a ticket.
- No food, water or backpacks will be allowed; attendees will be scanned.
UNM officials are encouraging all individuals to plan accordingly with regard to your activities, and the activities of your department or college, especially if you will be near the Student Union Building during the time of the event.