The University of New Mexico is conducting a national search for a new chief of police. Former chief of police, Kevin McCabe retired in June 2020 after 10 years of service.
The UNM Police Department is a full-service law enforcement agency with the authority to make arrests on view and under warrant. All officers in the department are sworn and state-certified. The chief of police oversees and manages the operations of campus police and is responsible for the administration and strategic planning of the department, which provides police services, crime prevention, traffic control and emergency management for students, faculty and staff.
“The nature and face of law enforcement is swiftly evolving,” said Teresa Costantinidis, senior vice president for finance and administration. “As the demands for the position change, so does the skill set needed for a police chief. To prove that we are committed to finding an ideal, well-rounded professional who shares the same values, purpose, and mindset to fit the culture of our university, we have hired a recruitment firm, Ralph Anderson & Associates, to help us promote the position nationally. Additionally, we have taken careful consideration in selecting a diverse Search Advisory Committee to help us find our ideal candidate to serve as UNM’s next Police Chief.”
Search Advisory Committee
- Lisa Marbury, assistant vice president of Campus Environments & Facilities for UNM Institutional Support Services (chair)
- Janice Ruggiero, sr. associate athletic director, UNM Athletics
- Jeff Gassaway, information and privacy officer, UNM IT
- Nancy Shane, past president, UNM Staff Council (Health Sciences Associate Scientist 3, UME Program Evaluation)
- Finnie Coleman, president, UNM Faculty Council (associate professor, English Dept.)
- Felix Funes, director, UNM Hospital Security
- Timothy Krebs, faculty member, UNM Political Science Chair
- Mike Chicarelli, chief operating officer, UNM Hospital
- Byron Piatt, University emergency manager, UNM Emergency Medicine Disaster Medicine
- Heather Jaramillo, interim director, UNM Office of Equal Opportunity
- Steve McLaughlin, professor, UNM Emergency Medicine
- Christine Chester, deputy chief, UNM Police Department
- Kathy Agnew, executive director, UNM Human Resources
- Nasha Torrez, dean of students, The University of New Mexico
- Rosa Isela Cervantes, director, UNM Ethnic Center
- Assata Zerai, vice president, UNM Division for Equity and Inclusion
- Jade Charles, undergraduate student, The University of New Mexico
- David Saavedra, graduate student, Associated Students of the University of New Mexico
- Tonya Covington, director, Albuquerque Police Department’s Rapid Accountability Diversion (RAD) Program
- Amy Whitfield, director, New Mexico Office of African American Affairs
Detailed information about the position can be found on UNM’s Executive Search website. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by July 11 for best consideration. To be considered, candidates must submit a compelling cover letter and comprehensive resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested candidates should apply early in the process for optimum consideration.
For more information, visit UNM PD Chief of Police.