The School of Engineering welcomes several new leaders this academic year, as well as promotions of its faculty.
Professor Sang M. Han begins a four-year term as chair of the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, and Professor Lydia Tapia begins a two-year interim chair appointment in the Department of Computer Science.
In the dean’s office, Mark Stone, who is a professor in the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, will be acting associate dean of academic affairs and community engagement, filling the spot held by Charles Fleddermann, who will be on sabbatical during the fall 2022 semester.
Also for fall 2022, Professor Mark Gilmore will serve as acting chair of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, filling in for Michael Devetsikiotis, who will be on a semester-long sabbatical. Francesca Cavallo has been selected as associate chair.
Yu-Lin Shen will be continuing on as chair for the Department of Mechanical Engineering through the 2023-24 academic year. In the Department of Nuclear Engineering, Osman Anderoglu has been named as associate chair.
There are several leadership changes in the School’s research centers and programs as well. Andrew Schuler, professor in the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, is taking over the directorship of the Center for Water and the Environment, a spot held by Kerry Howe, who retired this summer.
Earlier this year, Brian Zufelt became interim director of COSMIAC, taking over for Craig Kief, who recently retired. In addition, Matthias Pleil became director of the Manufacturing Engineering Program, with Nathan Jackson, assistant professor of mechanical engineering, serving as associate director. Jackson also has been selected as the director of the Nanoscience and Microsystems Engineering Program.
The following faculty in the School have received promotions:
- Adam Hecht, to professor of nuclear engineering
- Lydia Tapia, to professor of computer science
- Francesco Sorrentino, to professor of mechanical engineering
- Osman Anderoglu, to associate professor of nuclear engineering
- Francesca Cavallo, to associate professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Fernando Moreu, to associate professor in the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Soraya Abad-Mota, to senior lecturer III in the Department of Computer Science
- Jose Palacios to senior lecturer III in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering