The University of New Mexico BeKind UNM committee is excited to celebrate and encourage kindness during the annual BeKind UNM Week, Feb. 13-17. The committee has hosted the annual week of events for more than 15 years, including virtual festivities during the pandemic.
This year’s celebration features the popular Kindness Carnival, two opportunities to participate in the Teddy Bear Toss during a men’s or women’s Lobo basketball game and the chance to help fellow Lobos through donations to the Lobo Food Pantry.
- Lobo Men’s basketball game, Tuesday, Feb. 14 at 8 p.m. at The Pit. Fans are encouraged to bring a NEW stuffed animal and participate in the Teddy Bear Toss during half time. Fans aim at targets on the court for the chance to be entered into a drawing for a grand prize.
- BeKind UNM Kindness Carnival, Wednesday, Feb. 15 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in The SUB Atrium. Continue the celebration with games, activities, a photo booth, music, visits with therapy dogs and more. Carnival goers can support the Lobo Food Pantry through the purchase a bear for the second Teddy Bear Toss or direct monetary donation at Lobo Café.
- Lobo Women’s basketball game, Thursday, Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. at The Pit. Fans will have a second opportunity to win the Teddy Bear Toss and be entered for the chance to win a grand prize.
Why Teddy Bears?
Stuffed animals collected during the Teddy Bear Toss at both games will be donated to Albuquerque Police Department and Albuquerque Fire Rescue to give children during traumatic situations they respond to.
The Grand Prizes
Those who hit or come closest to the targets at either game will be entered into the drawing for one of eight grand prize packs. Prize packs will include an assortment of UNM swag PLUS one of the following prizes:
- One month of free parking from UNM Parking and Transportation
- $25 UNM Bookstore giftcard (2 available)
- Two tickets to ABT Studio Company performance at Popejoy on Sunday, March 12
- One Recreational Services World of Wellness (W.O.W.) pass (2 available)
- One Spark Kindness Teddy Bear from The Jennifer Riordan Foundation (2 available)
Visit the BeKind UNM web page for more information.