Ready or not, here come the 2012 elections. Both Democrats and Republicans have held their pre-primary conventions to gauge interest in declared candidates. Already, the results have caused one prominent Republican to abandon the race for New Mexico's First Congressional District. This week, The Line looks at what signals such early contests send.
Also, as the deadline for candidates to declare has now passed, the 2012 legislative races are shaping up too,. There are notable primary races ahead as well as some former state lawmakers who plan to try for their seats once again in November. Gene Grant and The Line run down which races to watch.
New Mexico PBS' one-hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus regularly airs Fridays at 7 p.m. on New Mexico PBS, Channel 5.1. (Please Note: NMIF will not air this Sunday at 7 a.m. on Ch. 5.1, nor on Saturday at 5 p.m. on Channel 9.1, due to the Pledge Drive).
Other topics this week
• New Mexico in Focus looks at the upcoming two-year anniversary of the Affordable Care Act, and the Supreme Court case that could derail the Obama Administration's implementation of the health care law. Dr. J. Deane Waldman of UNM and the Rio Grande Foundation debates the issue with Kelly O'Donnell of New Mexico Voices for Children.
• The Line examines New Mexico's evolving efforts to curb drunken driving. The recent arrest of Santa Fean Scott Owens has opened old wounds in the community, which remembers the fatal crash Owens was involved in – and ultimately acquitted of – in 2009.
This Week's Guests
• Dr. J. Deane Waldman, pediatric cardiologist / UNM professor
• Kelly O'Donnell, economist, New Mexico Voices for Children
The Line Guest Panelists
• Teresa Cordova, professor, UNM School of Architecture
• Jamie P. Estrada, vice president, DW Turner
The Line Panelists
• Dan Foley, Former New Mexico Representative
• Sophie Martin, social media consultant
Host / Commentator
• Gene Grant
Get updates, watch and follow KNME on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more.
New Mexico in Focus is produced by Matt Grubs and Kathy Wimmer.
Media Contact: Evy Todd, (505) 277-1218; e-mail: email@example.com.