The budget is priority number one for lawmakers as the 2011 legislative session carries on. The funds are short once again this year, but the needs are great. A group of more than a dozen organizations has come up with a plan to actually increase funding for early childhood education, despite those budget concerns. But it is definitely controversial. New Mexico in Focus takes a closer look at the plan, plus debate and analysis of the idea's merits.
KNME's one hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 6:30 a.m. on KNME, Channel 5.1. The show can also be seen on KNME's Digital Channel 9.1 on Saturdays at 5 p.m.
Panelists on The Line will also offer their thoughts on the ongoing troubles at the Department of Workforce Solutions and the Governor's new attempts to solve them. They also weigh in on one lawmaker's unprecedented decision to change parties in the middle of a 60-day session. Find out what impact the move may have on the legislative process in the House.
• Bill Jordan, New Mexico Voices for Children
• Gary King, New Mexico Attorney General
• Larry Langley, New Mexico Business Education Roundtable
• Jerry Ortiz y Pino, (D) Senator
• Allen Sanchez, Council of Catholic Bishops
Note: During the legislative session, all guests are subject to change, based on their availability.
• Dan Foley, (R), Former House Minority Whip
• Christie Chisholm, Freelance Journalist
The Line Panelists:
• Sophie Martin, managing editor, DukeCityFix.com
• Laura E. Sanchez, former executive director, New Mexico Democratic Party
• Gwyneth Doland, Former Editor, NewMexicoIndependent.com
• Gene Grant, Weekly Alibi columnist
Watch again online at New Mexico in Focus. Additionally, get updates, watch and follow KNME on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & more.
New Mexico in Focus is produced by Kevin McDonald and Kathy Wimmer and closed captioning has been made possible by a gift from Mrs. Elspeth G. Bobbs.
Media Contact: Evy Todd, (505) 277-1218; e-mail: email@example.com
New Mexico in Focus Talks State Budget
January 27, 2011