The United States Department of State offers a new opportunity for U.S. college students interested in study abroad programs in China. Students at colleges or universities with formal credit-transferring partnerships with participating Chinese universities can take advantage of the program. Participating universities include Shangai Jiao Tong and Sichuan University.

Scholarships for the exchange programs cover all in-country costs including tuition, housing and an appropriate stipend. They do not cover airfare to and from China.

To apply, students and study abroad offices should contact partner universities in China and ask about the U.S.-China Consultation on People-to-People Exchange.

The new exchange program is made possible by President Obama's 100,000 Strong Initiative which is a national effort to diversify and increase the number of American students studying in China.

Visit 100,000 Strong Initiative for more information.

Click to learn more about U.S. government funded study abroad scholarships.

Visit UNM Study Abroad for more options at UNM.