This week on New Mexico in Focus, correspondent Megan Kamerick sits down with Rep. Daymon Ely, who is working on a “red flag” law that would allow authorities to temporarily remove firearms from those deemed to be an immediate threat to themselves or others.
Kamerick also discusses the pros and cons of these so-called “extreme protection orders” with a diverse panel that includes a crisis intervention detective and a gun rights advocate.
Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham gave her first State of the State address on opening day of New Mexico’s legislative session, and NMiF host Gene Grant and a special panel of former lawmakers provided insight and analysis after the live broadcast. A new Line panel joins Grant on New Mexico in Focus for more in-depth coverage of the plans outlined and promises made during the speech that marked the start of the 60-day session.
The Line panelists also look at Albuquerque Public School’s mail-in election, which seeks a property tax increase to pay for renovating and repairing aging schools and updating security, technology and educational equipment.
New Mexico PBS’ one-hour public affairs show New Mexico in Focus regularly airs Fridays at 7 p.m. and repeats Sundays at 7 a.m. on Channel 5.1, and Saturdays at 5 p.m. and Sundays at 3 p.m. on Channel 9.1, except during pledge drives.
- Rep. Daymon Ely (D), New Mexico State House of Representatives
- Zachary Fort, president, New Mexico Shooting Sports Association
- Nancy Konigsberg, legal director, Disability Rights New Mexico
- Detective Matthew Tenney, Crisis Intervention Unit, Albuquerque Police Department
- Tom Garrity, the Garrity Group PR
- Cathryn McGill, founder/director, NM Black History Organizing Committee
- Laura Sanchez-Rivét, attorney at Cuddy and McCarthy, LLP
- Zackary Quintero, UNM law student & president, Student Trial Lawyers Association
New Mexico in Focus is New Mexico PBS’ prime-time news magazine show covering the events, issues and people that are shaping life in New Mexico and the Southwest.
Hosted by Gene Grant, NMiF takes a multi-layered look at social, political, economic health, education, and arts issues, and explores them in-depth, with a critical eye to give them context beyond the "news of the moment."
The producer of New Mexico in Focus is Sarah Gustavus with associate producer Kathy Wimmer. NM PBS Public Affairs executive producer is Kevin McDonald.
Funding for New Mexico in Focus is provided by the McCune Charitable Foundation, the Neeper Natural History Programming Fund for KNME TV and viewers like you.