For the ninth year running, the UNM Office of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Central New Mexico Community College (CNM) are partnering to host an app creation contest aimed at encouraging innovation. It is open to all students with cash prizes for the winners.
“I continue to be delighted at the incredible success with this contest and look forward to what the new year brings,” said Duane Arruti, UNM’s chief information officer. “I am always amazed at the innovation we see from the UNM and CNM students in this contest. Mobile Apps are an integral and important part of our daily existence, and continue to improve the lives of UNM students, as well as the broader community.”
This year’s Mobile App Contest provides support to UNM students with an interest in the coding and commercialization of apps. Students will be working with expert mentors and community coding meetups.
Registration is open from now until Oct. 31, 2021. Click here to register.
UNM and CNM will be encouraging the use of open data sets in this contest, which can make the apps more widely appealing, and the experience more authentic. Data sets available include UNM events, class schedule data, campus locations, Route 66 images, bike paths, list of local businesses, and more.
The top 3 coding groups will win cash prizes – $5,000 for first place, $2,500 for second place and $1,000 for third place. Honorable mentions may also be considered.
General Contest Overview:
- Sign Up to participate and receive updates.
- Develop your idea. The contest is open to individuals or teams.
- Code, test, review, plan, repeat.
- Check In, periodic question/answer, virtual workshops/meetups.
- Submit Adobe XD plan for extra credit, optional.
- Finalize documents for submission.
- Submit final project.
- Record a video of your demo.
- Finalists Meet with the IT team to refine your pitch and review your video.
- Attend the Presentation Day and Awards Ceremony (which may be virtual event or an in-person/virtual hybrid event, to be determined).